Also called LAUREL LEAF, leaf of the sweet bay tree, Laurus nobilis, an evergreen of the family Lauraceae, indigenous to countries bordering the Mediterranean. They have a woody, astringent flavor with a pleasant, slightly minty aroma. Bay leaves are imported primarily from Turkey. A popular spice used in pickling and marinating and to flavour stews, stuffings, and fish, bay leaves are delicately fragrant but have a bitter taste. They contain approximately 2 percent essential oil, the principal component of which is cineole. The smooth and lustrous dried bay leaves are usually used whole and then removed from the dish after cooking; they are sometimes marketed in powdered form. Bay has been cultivated from ancient times; its leaves constituted the wreaths of laurel that crowned victorious athletes in ancient Greece. Champions of the Olympic Games wore garlands of bay leaves. The word "baccalaureate," signifying the successful completion of one's bachelor studies, means "laurel berries." Bay leaves have always had a reputation for protection against lightning, witchcraft, and evil. Bay also had a legendary role in the love affair of Appollo and Daphne and was associated with romance. During the European Middle Ages bay leaves were used medicinally.
Related Forum Threads
- Lemongrass Chicken Barbecue Last post on 4/2/10 at 11:10pm in Recipes
- what is black peppermint? Last post on 5/9/15 at 12:15pm in The Chef's Garden
- Winter sun Aligned herb wall Last post on 2/26/15 at 12:01pm in The Chef's Garden
- Go big or ?? Last post on 2/19/15 at 2:37pm in The Chef's Garden
- Measuring? Last post on 4/11/14 at 7:27am in Food & Cooking
Currently, there are 210 Active Users (3 Members and 207 Guests)
- › How do you accept credit cards? 50 minutes ago
- › Do you go on instinct during a service? 54 minutes ago
- › Anchovy paste 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › 16 Year Old Chefs 2 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Cruise Ship Kitchen (video) 2 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › Chef shortages ??? 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Choosing a Commercial Range 4 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Help with cookware choices, compact living 4 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › August 2015 Challenge - Eggplant 5 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › How Many Hours Do You Work(Day/Week) 5 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › The Art Institute of California - San Francisco by stevenvhayden
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by flacook
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by MichaelJKane
- › Pop Up Grill Barbecue portable télescopique 280 mm by Pete
- › HRC Culinary Academy, Bulgaria by konvict
- › Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy by Anthony Eugenio
- › Chinese Garnishes / Adornos Chinos: With Platter Arrangements / Con... by MillionsKnives
- › Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife by harrisonh
- › Umami: The Fifth Taste by ChefTorres87
- › J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College by the1culinarykid
- › Pineapple How To
- › Family Meal: Feeding the Crew on the Cheap
- › Restaurant Menus: The chorus of the kitchen
- › Kitchen Technology: Internet of Things is Not...
- › Managing the Management: How Cooks Can Cope
- › True Cooks
- › What does Shake Shack's ChickenStack...
- › On the Road with Dega Catering and the Dave...
- › Fourth of July: What Would George Eat?
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com