Also called LAUREL LEAF, leaf of the sweet bay tree, Laurus nobilis, an evergreen of the family Lauraceae, indigenous to countries bordering the Mediterranean. They have a woody, astringent flavor with a pleasant, slightly minty aroma. Bay leaves are imported primarily from Turkey. A popular spice used in pickling and marinating and to flavour stews, stuffings, and fish, bay leaves are delicately fragrant but have a bitter taste. They contain approximately 2 percent essential oil, the principal component of which is cineole. The smooth and lustrous dried bay leaves are usually used whole and then removed from the dish after cooking; they are sometimes marketed in powdered form. Bay has been cultivated from ancient times; its leaves constituted the wreaths of laurel that crowned victorious athletes in ancient Greece. Champions of the Olympic Games wore garlands of bay leaves. The word "baccalaureate," signifying the successful completion of one's bachelor studies, means "laurel berries." Bay leaves have always had a reputation for protection against lightning, witchcraft, and evil. Bay also had a legendary role in the love affair of Appollo and Daphne and was associated with romance. During the European Middle Ages bay leaves were used medicinally.
Related Forum Threads
- Lemongrass Chicken Barbecue Last post on 4/2/10 at 11:10pm in Recipes
- what is black peppermint? Last post on 5/9/15 at 12:15pm in The Chef's Garden
- Winter sun Aligned herb wall Last post on 2/26/15 at 12:01pm in The Chef's Garden
- Go big or ?? Last post on 2/19/15 at 2:37pm in The Chef's Garden
- Measuring? Last post on 4/11/14 at 7:27am in Food & Cooking
Currently, there are 160 Active Users (1 Member and 159 Guests)
- › First stage 3 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Planning a dinner 3 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › purees 3 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › Need some advice on a potential move 5 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Miyabi Kaizen knives 5 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Hello Chef Talk Community 5 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Need help solving argument regarding marinating steak. 6 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Noob questions on a recommendation for Japanese knives. 7 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › I want to cook like the kids on "Man vs. Child" 7 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Equipment for sandwich restaurant 7 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy by Anthony Eugenio
- › Chinese Garnishes / Adornos Chinos: With Platter Arrangements / Con... by MillionsKnives
- › Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife by harrisonh
- › Umami: The Fifth Taste by ChefTorres87
- › J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College by the1culinarykid
- › UNLV William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration by harrisonh
- › Oregon Culinary Institute by Carrie'
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by wangxing
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Chef B
- › Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook,... by Joe Banneke
- › What does Shake Shack's ChickenStack...
- › On the Road with Dega Catering and the Dave...
- › Fourth of July: What Would George Eat?
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com
- › Culinary School Review Contest
- › The Strain Gauge: The Heart of the Digital Scale
- › Cutting Board Review Contest
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part IV ...
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part III ...
- › Cutting Bell Peppers: The Elegant Solution