French word for a farm. When refering to food, especially cheese, it denotes a farm stead production which is usually small, unique and of high quality. It is the opposite of a large scale inudustrial production, which can sometimes produce high qualtiy products but often do not have the same unique characteristics of a fermier product.
Related Forum Threads
- culinary student needs help identifing french term Last post on 9/28/10 at 11:29am in Food & Cooking
- Bechamel Sauce Last post on 3/27/15 at 6:41am in Food & Cooking
- Preserved chillis - how do I do? Last post on 5/6/10 at 10:13am in Food & Cooking
- what does DECONSTRUCTED mean? Last post on 12/1/14 at 2:40pm in Food & Cooking
- Le Poêler - cooking technique Last post on 11/16/14 at 10:14am in Food & Cooking
Currently, there are 196 Active Users (3 Members and 193 Guests)
- › Any good Mac and Cheese recipes? 3 minutes ago
- › Where to buy in Europe? 20 minutes ago
- › Charity Event I am sponsoring.........................HELP!!!!!! 24 minutes ago
- › July 2015 Challenge is . . . . SALAD 36 minutes ago
- › Need advice from experienced chefs 39 minutes ago
- › Establishing a Standard for Rushes? 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Greetings from Romania 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › personal chef in CAlifornia 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Suggestions for a smoker anyone? 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Storage solutions for massive sandwich order 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Oregon Culinary Institute by Carrie'
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by wangxing
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Chef B
- › Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook,... by Joe Banneke
- › Haute Cuisine: How the French Invented the Culinary Profession by Joe Banneke
- › Saddleback College - Food and Nutrition Department by torchskitchen
- › Mountainland Applied Technology College - Culinary Arts by mikelikefood125
- › The French Laundry Cookbook by Sian
- › Art Institute of Dallas by Kenneth Goldber
- › Architec Gripperwood 10-by-15-Inch Gourmet Sheesham Cutting, Board by laurenlulu
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com
- › Culinary School Review Contest
- › The Strain Gauge: The Heart of the Digital Scale
- › Cutting Board Review Contest
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part IV ...
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part III ...
- › Cutting Bell Peppers: The Elegant Solution
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part II ...
- › The Unsung Heroes of the Kitchen
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part I An...