A water soluble protein that when mixed with a liquid and chilled becomes firm (or sets up). Good examples are aspic and the ubiquitous Jell-O. It is also essential in sauce making where it helps give body to sauces that are thickened solely by reduction or high heat (i.e. brown sauces).
Related Forum Threads
- culinary student needs help identifing french term Last post on 9/28/10 at 11:29am in Food & Cooking
- Bechamel Sauce Last post on 3/27/15 at 6:41am in Food & Cooking
- Preserved chillis - how do I do? Last post on 5/6/10 at 10:13am in Food & Cooking
- what does DECONSTRUCTED mean? Last post on 12/1/14 at 2:40pm in Food & Cooking
- Le Poêler - cooking technique Last post on 11/16/14 at 10:14am in Food & Cooking
Currently, there are 304 Active Users (4 Members and 300 Guests)
- › Taking over Banquets in a Hotel 5 minutes ago
- › Does anyone have any experience with "Konosuke" or "Richmond" ... 39 minutes ago
- › Hiromoto VG-10 Gyuto 240mm or 270mm 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › burger press troubles, why 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › japanese (thin/light) vs western (thick/heavy) 2 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Looking for advice 2 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › Looking for a santoku... 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › is becoming a pastry chef the smart move? 3 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › Seeking best chefs knife I can get my hands on 4 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Need advice from experienced chefs 4 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Oregon Culinary Institute by Carrie'
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by wangxing
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Chef B
- › Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook,... by Joe Banneke
- › Haute Cuisine: How the French Invented the Culinary Profession by Joe Banneke
- › Saddleback College - Food and Nutrition Department by torchskitchen
- › Mountainland Applied Technology College - Culinary Arts by mikelikefood125
- › The French Laundry Cookbook by Sian
- › Art Institute of Dallas by Kenneth Goldber
- › Architec Gripperwood 10-by-15-Inch Gourmet Sheesham Cutting, Board by laurenlulu
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com
- › Culinary School Review Contest
- › The Strain Gauge: The Heart of the Digital Scale
- › Cutting Board Review Contest
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part IV ...
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part III ...
- › Cutting Bell Peppers: The Elegant Solution
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part II ...
- › The Unsung Heroes of the Kitchen
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part I An...