A water soluble protein that when mixed with a liquid and chilled becomes firm (or sets up). Good examples are aspic and the ubiquitous Jell-O. It is also essential in sauce making where it helps give body to sauces that are thickened solely by reduction or high heat (i.e. brown sauces).
Related Forum Threads
- culinary student needs help identifing french term Last post on 9/28/10 at 11:29am in Food & Cooking
- Bechamel Sauce Last post on 3/27/15 at 6:41am in Food & Cooking
- Preserved chillis - how do I do? Last post on 5/6/10 at 10:13am in Food & Cooking
- what does DECONSTRUCTED mean? Last post on 12/1/14 at 2:40pm in Food & Cooking
- Le Poêler - cooking technique Last post on 11/16/14 at 10:14am in Food & Cooking
Currently, there are 277 Active Users (9 Members and 268 Guests)
- › Little help please 10 minutes ago
- › Pickle juice 30 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 37 minutes ago
- › Keep unused breadcrumbs from a batch used to make fried chicken? 44 minutes ago
- › Using soda pop straight from the can as an ingredient 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Menu Design Help 4 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Mercer knives.. 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Handheld Meter & Probes 7 hours ago
- › Trying to start an at home catering Buisiness.Help!!!!!!!!! 7 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Flow and Equipment questions (Crepe and Coffee Cafe) 7 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › The Art Institute of California - San Francisco by stevenvhayden
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by flacook
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by MichaelJKane
- › Pop Up Grill Barbecue portable télescopique 280 mm by Pete
- › HRC Culinary Academy, Bulgaria by konvict
- › Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy by Anthony Eugenio
- › Chinese Garnishes / Adornos Chinos: With Platter Arrangements / Con... by MillionsKnives
- › Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife by harrisonh
- › Umami: The Fifth Taste by ChefTorres87
- › J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College by the1culinarykid
- › Pineapple How To
- › Family Meal: Feeding the Crew on the Cheap
- › Restaurant Menus: The chorus of the kitchen
- › Kitchen Technology: Internet of Things is Not...
- › Managing the Management: How Cooks Can Cope
- › True Cooks
- › What does Shake Shack's ChickenStack...
- › On the Road with Dega Catering and the Dave...
- › Fourth of July: What Would George Eat?
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com