The French word for aromatic or flavoring vegetables, used frequently when making stock, soups or sauces. A brown mirepoix (which will be browned in hot oil before being used) consists of 2 parts onion, 1 part carrot and 1 part celery (measured roughly by volume). A white mirepoix (generally added raw or lightly cooked in oil without browning) consists of 1 part onion and 1 part celery.
Related Forum Threads
- culinary student needs help identifing french term Last post on 9/28/10 at 11:29am in Food & Cooking
- Bechamel Sauce Last post on 3/27/15 at 6:41am in Food & Cooking
- Preserved chillis - how do I do? Last post on 5/6/10 at 10:13am in Food & Cooking
- what does DECONSTRUCTED mean? Last post on 12/1/14 at 2:40pm in Food & Cooking
- Le Poêler - cooking technique Last post on 11/16/14 at 10:14am in Food & Cooking
Currently, there are 170 Active Users (3 Members and 167 Guests)
- › First stage 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Planning a dinner 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
- › purees 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › Need some advice on a potential move 2 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › Miyabi Kaizen knives 3 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › Hello Chef Talk Community 3 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Need help solving argument regarding marinating steak. 3 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Noob questions on a recommendation for Japanese knives. 5 hours ago
- › I want to cook like the kids on "Man vs. Child" 5 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Equipment for sandwich restaurant 5 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy by Anthony Eugenio
- › Chinese Garnishes / Adornos Chinos: With Platter Arrangements / Con... by MillionsKnives
- › Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife by harrisonh
- › Umami: The Fifth Taste by ChefTorres87
- › J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College by the1culinarykid
- › UNLV William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration by harrisonh
- › Oregon Culinary Institute by Carrie'
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by wangxing
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Chef B
- › Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook,... by Joe Banneke
- › What does Shake Shack's ChickenStack...
- › On the Road with Dega Catering and the Dave...
- › Fourth of July: What Would George Eat?
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com
- › Culinary School Review Contest
- › The Strain Gauge: The Heart of the Digital Scale
- › Cutting Board Review Contest
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part IV ...
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part III ...
- › Cutting Bell Peppers: The Elegant Solution