So some of you may have been reading, I have been trying to get the correct proportions of a recipe from a restaurant in Hawaii. Zippy's is an institution on Oahu to be specific, they have many menu item at their fast food take-out locations as well as casual diners. One side dish that has been long coveted is their Macaroni Salad. Now, you may be thinking to yourself, yeah, so what? Why don't you Google Zippy's Mac Salad and see how many hits you'll get from us forlorn Islanders who have moved away to the Mainland.
I have been searching the internet for years trying to unearth the recipe, only to find others doing the same. One spot I found quoted a letter that was sent to them from a Zippy's Customer Service Manager, listing the ingredients and inviting the recipient to "experiment with it". Well, guess what I did, and I got it!
With the help of members here at Chef Talk.com, I meshed together different recipes, suggestions and some back and forth. The frugal homesick island gal that I am, I didn't want to waste anything, so I made my first batch with a quarter of what I felt would made a full recipe. Seeing as my husband despises mayonnaise, I didn't want to be eating a gross Mac Salad for the next 5 days; though I do love my Mac Salad, not that much. You can try this smaller version or increase the quantities appropriately to your crowd.
ZIPPY'S MAC SALAD RECIPE
1/4 lb Elbow Macaroni, cooked past al dente, to "fat" noodle, soft
1/2 C Best Foods Mayonnaise (or Hellmann's if you're in the East, no substitution)
1/2 Tbsp prepared Mustard (I used Dijon 'cause that's what I had in the 'fridge)
1 Tbsp White Onion, finely grated, juice and pulp (I used a microplane)
2 Tbsp Carrot, finely grated
2 Tbsp Celery, finely diced
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used about 1/8 tsp of each)
Combine all ingredients but the Macaroni in a large mixing bowl.
Prepare the pasta as directed. Test the pasta to make sure that it is past al dente, nice and soft but not falling apart. Drain well. Toss gently with the dressing and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Enjoy with your favorite Hawaiian BBQ, steamed white rice and you're now a local my friend! ALOHA
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- Trying To Figure Out The Right Proportioning Of Zippy’s Mac Salad Recipe Last post on 9/26/14 at 8:24pm in Recipes
- What's your favorite salad? Last post on 10/16/14 at 1:06pm in Food & Cooking
- Salad Dressing Ideas Last post on 1/18/15 at 3:54pm in Food & Cooking
- Dandelion Greens Last post on 1/3/15 at 6:04am in Food & Cooking
- salad spinners that have enough clearance so the basket is not in the water!?! Last post on 4/23/11 at 7:27am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
The Honolulu Fish Auction
Last edited: 8/5/12
- Kauai Coffee CompanyLast edited: 9/16/10
- Making Salads With Gourmet LettuceLast edited: 2/16/10
Alphabetical Article List
Quest for Zippy Mac Salad Recipe via kaneohegirlinaz
- Kauai Coffee Company
- › Inventory situation 28 minutes ago
- › looking for a production kitchen in South Florida for rent 59 minutes ago
- › A food dream 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › August food challenge is...........Eggplant 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › What's your impression of sous vide? 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Grilling steaks for banquet 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › How long can you run a KA pro? 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › Any good Mac and Cheese recipes? 2 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › CHICKEN, CHORIZO AND SUMAC POTATO SALAD 2 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Tim Tams in America 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › HRC Culinary Academy, Bulgaria by konvict
- › Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy by Anthony Eugenio
- › Chinese Garnishes / Adornos Chinos: With Platter Arrangements / Con... by MillionsKnives
- › Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife by harrisonh
- › Umami: The Fifth Taste by ChefTorres87
- › J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College by the1culinarykid
- › UNLV William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration by harrisonh
- › Oregon Culinary Institute by Carrie'
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by wangxing
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Chef B
- › Managing the Management: How Cooks Can Cope
- › True Cooks
- › What does Shake Shack's ChickenStack...
- › On the Road with Dega Catering and the Dave...
- › Fourth of July: What Would George Eat?
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com
- › Culinary School Review Contest
- › The Strain Gauge: The Heart of the Digital Scale
- › Cutting Board Review Contest
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part IV ...