So some of you may have been reading, I have been trying to get the correct proportions of a recipe from a restaurant in Hawaii. Zippy's is an institution on Oahu to be specific, they have many menu item at their fast food take-out locations as well as casual diners. One side dish that has been long coveted is their Macaroni Salad. Now, you may be thinking to yourself, yeah, so what? Why don't you Google Zippy's Mac Salad and see how many hits you'll get from us forlorn Islanders who have moved away to the Mainland.
I have been searching the internet for years trying to unearth the recipe, only to find others doing the same. One spot I found quoted a letter that was sent to them from a Zippy's Customer Service Manager, listing the ingredients and inviting the recipient to "experiment with it". Well, guess what I did, and I got it!
With the help of members here at Chef Talk.com, I meshed together different recipes, suggestions and some back and forth. The frugal homesick island gal that I am, I didn't want to waste anything, so I made my first batch with a quarter of what I felt would made a full recipe. Seeing as my husband despises mayonnaise, I didn't want to be eating a gross Mac Salad for the next 5 days; though I do love my Mac Salad, not that much. You can try this smaller version or increase the quantities appropriately to your crowd.
ZIPPY'S MAC SALAD RECIPE
1/4 lb Elbow Macaroni, cooked past al dente, to "fat" noodle, soft
1/2 C Best Foods Mayonnaise (or Hellmann's if you're in the East, no substitution)
1/2 Tbsp prepared Mustard (I used Dijon 'cause that's what I had in the 'fridge)
1 Tbsp White Onion, finely grated, juice and pulp (I used a microplane)
2 Tbsp Carrot, finely grated
2 Tbsp Celery, finely diced
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used about 1/8 tsp of each)
Combine all ingredients but the Macaroni in a large mixing bowl.
Prepare the pasta as directed. Test the pasta to make sure that it is past al dente, nice and soft but not falling apart. Drain well. Toss gently with the dressing and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Enjoy with your favorite Hawaiian BBQ, steamed white rice and you're now a local my friend! ALOHA
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- Trying To Figure Out The Right Proportioning Of Zippy’s Mac Salad Recipe Last post on 9/26/14 at 8:24pm in Recipes
- What's your favorite salad? Last post on 10/16/14 at 1:06pm in Food & Cooking
- Salad Dressing Ideas Last post on 1/18/15 at 3:54pm in Food & Cooking
- Dandelion Greens Last post on 1/3/15 at 6:04am in Food & Cooking
- salad spinners that have enough clearance so the basket is not in the water!?! Last post on 10/8/15 at 1:49pm in Cooking Equipment Reviews
The Honolulu Fish Auction
Last edited: 8/5/12
- Kauai Coffee CompanyLast edited: 9/16/10
- Making Salads With Gourmet LettuceLast edited: 2/16/10
Alphabetical Article List
Quest for Zippy Mac Salad Recipe via kaneohegirlinaz
- Kauai Coffee Company
- › Sous Vide re-heating question 13 minutes ago
- › Is this mold? Found black stuff on frozen potato latkes :( 18 minutes ago
- › Slow roasting turkey... time and temperature? 23 minutes ago
- › Parting out duck 44 minutes ago
- › Cooking at home for profit 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Rookie At the Bar 2 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › kaffir lime, oh so hard to get, let alone store 2 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › Damascus 240 'Chef's' recommendation 3 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › S90v Core, Damascus Staninless 8 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › #22 *TWO PACK* Replacement Knife Blade for Meat Grinder. Hobart,... by Markrmoore2
- › Rubbermaid Commercial FGTHO550 Stainless Steel Oven Monitoring... by Markrmoore2
- › The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by MillionsKnives
- › Le Cordon Bleu Mexico by Maria1233
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by karenlhall
- › The International Culinary Center - New York by Chef-Nicholas
- › Professional Cooking by motty
- › Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Pâtisserie by FollowUrHeart
- › The Art Institute of California - San Francisco by stevenvhayden
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by MichaelJKane
- › Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Dried...
- › Cranberry Old Fashioned
- › Holiday Sangria
- › Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash-Thanksgiving...
- › Spicy Sweet Potato Gratin
- › Roasted Beets with Garlic and Onions
- › Pumpking Cranberry Coffeecake
- › Hot Chocolate for the Family
- › Curried Squash Soup
- › Tomato Braised Cauliflower Curry