Related Forum Threads
- Calzone Ripieno Al Forno Last post on 4/12/10 at 12:10am in Recipes
- How To Fillet A Fish? ( The Best Way ) Last post on 6/11/10 at 8:08am in Recipes
- Cooking for Dirt Poor College Student Last post on 4/16/10 at 10:05am in Food & Cooking
- Japanese noodle soup? Last post on 5/24/10 at 2:42pm in Recipes
- Lemongrass Chicken Barbecue Last post on 4/2/10 at 11:10pm in Recipes
Homemade Baby Food A Fresh Start To Healthy Eating
Edited on 2/16/10
- Time With The Kids Vs A Home Cooked Meal You Can Have BothEdited on 2/16/10
- Cool School LunchesEdited on 2/16/10
- I am a Cook not a Rocket Scientist
Alphabetical Article List
The Sorry Secrets Of SweetenersBy: eyarnellPosted 02/17/10 • Last updated 02/17/10 • 159 views
The other day I went to buy some of the individual bags of flavored waters for my kids. I was thinking that they would be preferable to the no-sugar-added juice boxes I normally offer to hydrate them in the car. Water, I reasoned, is always a healthier choice than juice.
What a surprise, then, to see that one of the most popular brands of these water bags listed high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient and sucralose as the fourth!
Some believe our current epidemic of obesity and skyrocketing health problems including diabetes, heart disease, and cancer can be directly traced to the abundance of high fructose corn syrup in our packaged foods. It is a highly processed sweetener, one of the many synthetic sweeteners available that fool the body into secreting extra hormones and packing on the pounds.
Results from an 8-year study of more than 1,500 people by the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, suggest that those who drank diet sodas gained more weight than those who didn’t.
Organic, unrefined, unbleached sugar from sugar cane is always a more health-conscious choice over high fructose corn syrup or other artificial sweeteners such as saccharin, aspartame, acesulfame-k and sucralose.
Additional healthy options to satisfy a sweet tooth might include locally-collected honey, real maple syrup, nothing-added fruit juices and brands of chocolate syrup that don’t contain trans-fats or high fructose corn syrup.
Here’s a tangy recipe that uses citrus and honey to be sweet and healthy without resorting to synthetic ingredients to cut calories.
- Time With The Kids Vs A Home Cooked Meal You Can Have Both
- › Basil 16 minutes ago
- › I cannot get a "good" cake. 1 hour ago
- › chicory - anyone have new ideas? 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › What kitchen equipment or tools have you purchased lately? 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Le Creuset vs Lodge 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Need advice for a cooking interview please :) 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › The only scrambled eggs I'll ever eat 3 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Pressure cookers - Kuhn Rikon Duromatic or WMF Perfect Plus? 3 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Maintaining new T-I Nogents...? 3 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › whats your test for line cooks???? 3 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Strauss Green Cuisine 9.5 Inch Skillet with Non Stick Ceramic Coating by Bill Methatswho
- › Simple French Desserts by ColleenS
- › From a Southern Oven: The Savories, The Sweets by heath67013
- › Back of the House: The Secret Life of a Restaurant by Pete
- › Come In, We're Closed: An Invitation to Staff Meals at the... by Jim
- › Smith's 50281 Adjustable Edge Pro Electric Knife Sharpener by JimA
- › Johnson and Wales University - Providence, RI by Flavorchef
- › The Elements of Dessert by BenRias
- › J.A. Henckels Twin Sharp Duo Knife Sharpener by Aaron McKeown
- › Edible Selby by Jim
- › Teri-Spam Musubi (moo-sue-bee) by kaneohegirlinaz
- › Decorating with Edible Paper by Terricakelady
- › Fast Food Chinese by Jim
- › The 5 Facets of a Good Restaurant by Jim
- › How to, What To, When To Sear by Jim
- › Going Electronic in the Kitchen by Nicko
- › Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream by Jim
- › Time For Another Road Trip, California Here... by kaneohegirlinaz
- › Edamame-Ginger Frozen Custard by Jim
- › Maki Sushi For Dummies, Like ME!! by kaneohegirlinaz