or Connect

Posts by angrychef

There is no starch in the lemon curd recipe we use. I made another batch with the same thawed juice and just cooked it a bit longer and it came out fine. My pastry chef and I are suspecting it has to do with time and temp. of cooked eggs starting from cold eggs. Shirley O. in Cookwise wrote something about that but I'm busy at the moment to look it up. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.:)
The recipe using all yolks would yield a more delicate crepe because of the omission of whites.
Eggs, yolks, sugar, juice and butter last. It has been hit or miss with this batch of juice. Maybe the juice wasn't acidic enough??? Curd is one of the simplest things to make and this is the first time to encounter such a problem.
We make a Meyer lemon curd at work which we are having problems with. My boss buys Meyers by the case and squeezes and freezes the juice. When we need to make the curd, we thaw the juice and then proceed to make the curd. Well, for some strange reason after the curd is cooked and chilled, it never firms up. It's totally runny. We cook it until the whisk leaves tracks. I'm suspecting it's the juice(because we make another curd with regular fresh lemons and have not had the...
Kevin, seems to me the cookie is almost like the cookie used for black-and-whites. Soft and cakey, right? The leavening for such a cookie doesn't seem out of whack, but you can try playing with the baking powder if you think the cookie is too light and cut it down to 1/2 t. or 1/4 t. The reaction of the baking soda with the sourcream is approximately equal to the leavening of 1 tsp. b.p., so the extra baking powder in the recipe is for more lift. Another thing to consider...
Since my mixer broke I've been hand kneading all my doughs. I do what Kyle advices---I mix all the ingredients together(a somewhat wet dough) and let rest 5-10 min. Then I knead for about 5 min. I place in a oiled bowl and turn the dough twice during its 1 1/2-2 hr. rise. Then I scale, round, rest the dough pieces or just leave the dough in the fridge until the next day.
About 90 minutes. I let it proof last night about 60 minutes before sticking them in the fridge. I gather you need to either let them proof a bit at room temp before or after retarding? Anyway, it is very warm again today(85F again in Seattle!) so I'm not guaranteed it will take 90 min. next time.... Next I will try the method you suggested. But for that I have to wait for my day off.
Just finished baking two sourdough boules and I am very happy with the results. I couldn't wait for it to cool(I know, my bad) so I cut into one, and I've got big airy holes, crunchy crust and good sour flavor(though still very warm so sourness not too discernible). I used bread flour, got it as hydrated as I could(I kneaded by hand), fermented 3 hours(it was very warm in my kitchen 85F), shaped and tucked into baskets and retarded overnight because there was no way I was...
Thanks Kyle and bighat! I followed BBA recipe to the letter. Left boules out 2 hrs. and then retard in fridge overnight. I got the sour flavor and beautiful crust but semi-dense crumb. Still delicious slathered with butter! I will try next time with B.flour and up the water. I didn't detect a difference in "sourness" using the barm in comparison to the firm starter. Should one be more sour than the other? Also, about the malt? Is Eden barley malt syrup non-diastatic?
I've been reading up on sourdoughs and am a bit confused on the amount of starter used for basic sourdough bread and its relation to fermentation time. It seems it ranges from 30% all the way to 95%. I just made the sourdough from the Bread Baker's Apprentice where the starter is at 50%(and used a firm starter) and just for experimentation I made one with 60% starter(used the barm and reduced the recipes water %). The results were good but a bit on the dense side. I was...