or Connect

Posts by angrychef

Italian bread was a success, my husband and I devoured it with shrimp scampi cooked in olive oil and lots of garlic. My past 2 bread baking days have been very successful. I refreshed my starter and used it the next day as is(a test). I made one formula with 50% starter and another with 40%. I made the dough more on the wet side since I like all those big holes. A crosssection of the my bread looks a lot like Thom's country french bread photo in Artisan Baking. Happy...
Congratulations Peachcreek! I ditto what W.DeBord says---may you always be successful with your company!
Bighat, can I come over for dinner?!?!?!That sounds so good. I'm making your Italian bread recipe in an hour.
Meaning if your starter is pretty firm in the first place---you don't have to build an intermediate starter? I've been keeping my starter at 100% hydration(like you said, easy on the math) and it's alive and kicking. I've still been hit and miss building the levain loaves. I tried Leader's recipe with the starter at 90%-100% and it wasn't too good. I still like Peter's mild levain recipe best. But the confusing part is building the intermediate starter---why can't you just...
Ok, I guess reading from too many books produces information overload and confusion. In Peter's book he says a wetter starter produces more acetic acid(sour flavor) while a drier sponge favors lactic acid bacteria. At the San Francisco Baking Institute webpage I lifted this quote from one of the instructors "A stiffer starter, at around 50% hydration will produce more acetic acid, resulting in more sour bread. A liquid sour, at 100% hydration, will favor lactic acid, and...
I usually like to use a chiffon recipe and add nut flour to the batter. Just don't add too much so cake doesn't come out heavy. Also, I like to use Amorretti flavoring compounds---they have just about any flavor you can imagine.
I tried the souffle recipe from Professional Baking but just added more chocolate. Froze them from 1 day to a couple of days. Just add a couple more minutes of cooking time. What I would suggest is making up a batch of your own souffles and freeze a couple to see if that will work for you.
Bistro Garden, a restaurant in L.A. that specializes in made to order chocolate souffles has their raw frozen souffles in grocery store freezers. Working for a catering company, we have used their product and it does rise very well even if the souffle batter is frozen. Since it wasn't as chocolatey as I would like it, I proceeded to make my own and froze them first---it does work very well, just make sure you grease your ramekins and coat with sugar very well.
My bread came out great. I used Reinhart's Crust and Crumb recipe, with a little addition of honey. Very tasty, good rise and nice big holes in the crumb(I would still like it lighter). There is definitely room for improvement, though. I went into Kyle's website and read through his step-by-step starter commentary. My starter is definitely not as bubbly as his, but then again mine is more of a very thick/gooey(can't pour it) batter rather than the more liquid one he has in...
Salt was at 2.6%, actual recipe said 2.75 % Final dough temp was about 72F. Bulk fermentation 3 hours, and about 3 hours proof. I've got another batch fermenting and to this one I did add .04 oz. instant yeast to the starter and proceeded to make final dough. Looks like it's rising fine----but ideally I don't want to "cheat" when making a levain bread.