or Connect

Posts by ricwhiting

Thank you all. With all of the helpful advice, I have enough ideas that I can use as tenderizers. the wine worked well and next time I think I'll use corn starch. Thanks again.
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. Last night I trimmed my beef, cut it into cubes, added 1/2 cup of red wine and marinated over-night in the frig. This afternoon, after a 14 hour marinate, I drained the beef, tossed the cubes with flour and quickly fried them, working with small batches, just until nicely browned. After that I added the beef stock.. After only one hour of simmering I was surprised at how very tender the beef was. But the taste was just a little bit...
I'm sure I didn't explain myself well enough. As I now live in Mexico, there is zero possibility that I could ever find a Jaccard, or,for that matter ANY brand name tenderizer. I am going to have to make due with basic natural foods. Also, it is important that WHATEVER I use as a tenderizer it should have a very mild,if any, flavor. So, vinegar and/or lemon juice are out.
Hello All,  I have moved from the U.S. to a country that does not have quality beef. I need help finding a way to tenderize the beef. I know, of course, that I can pound the beef with the spiked end of a mallet. This works ok for swiss steak etc. But if, for example, I wanted to make beef stew or Hungarian goulash what else might I do. Back home I would use  chuck (nice and moist) but I have no idea what the locals call chuck. Also, I'd much prefer NOT to use any...
The fist thing you need to do is find out Exactly how much bigger your 10" pan is than your small one. So pour water into your small pan so that the water  comes up to the level that you would be using for your UN-baked batter. Measure that water into a very large measuring cup or something that is calibrated, like a container that has notations for 600 ml. 750 ml. 1000 ml. etc. Next take your large pan and pour water up to the mark that you woulds expect to see if it...
thank you so much for the last post. It sure gives me something to think about and try. I have been loathe to do a levain because I don't really care for sourdough bread (San Francisco sourdough). I mean it's alright on occassion but I much prefer the milder flavor "New Orleans Style French bread. But , as you say, a sour starter does not need to result in a sour bread. I did not know that. Thanks again
Thank you very much Pete. I will read those right now.
I think we got off the track a little. All I wanted was info from a baker regarding lactic acid development in a preferment. And, yes, I'm well aware that lactic acid is created when vegetable matter is fermented. Regarding acetic acid in a preferment, all I meant was that it is much sharper flavored than lactic acid. So, can an experienced baker talk with me about ways to gain the most lactic acid in a preferfent and, of course, in the final dough.
thank you all for your help. Interesting stuff about older tougher birds. I knew that the sauce was very deep purple but I did not realize that the meat of the bird was supposed to be the same. live and learn. Thanks to all.
It's been quite awhile since I tried to make Coq Au Vin so, I don't recall exactly how I prepared it, but suffice to say it was hideous looking.  The chicken breast was exactly the color of the burgandy wine I used. I'm game to try again but not if I end up with deep burgandy colored chicken, Any advice. That you.