or Connect

Posts by ricwhiting

The fist thing you need to do is find out Exactly how much bigger your 10" pan is than your small one. So pour water into your small pan so that the water  comes up to the level that you would be using for your UN-baked batter. Measure that water into a very large measuring cup or something that is calibrated, like a container that has notations for 600 ml. 750 ml. 1000 ml. etc. Next take your large pan and pour water up to the mark that you woulds expect to see if it...
thank you so much for the last post. It sure gives me something to think about and try. I have been loathe to do a levain because I don't really care for sourdough bread (San Francisco sourdough). I mean it's alright on occassion but I much prefer the milder flavor "New Orleans Style French bread. But , as you say, a sour starter does not need to result in a sour bread. I did not know that. Thanks again
Thank you very much Pete. I will read those right now.
I think we got off the track a little. All I wanted was info from a baker regarding lactic acid development in a preferment. And, yes, I'm well aware that lactic acid is created when vegetable matter is fermented. Regarding acetic acid in a preferment, all I meant was that it is much sharper flavored than lactic acid. So, can an experienced baker talk with me about ways to gain the most lactic acid in a preferfent and, of course, in the final dough.
thank you all for your help. Interesting stuff about older tougher birds. I knew that the sauce was very deep purple but I did not realize that the meat of the bird was supposed to be the same. live and learn. Thanks to all.
It's been quite awhile since I tried to make Coq Au Vin so, I don't recall exactly how I prepared it, but suffice to say it was hideous looking.  The chicken breast was exactly the color of the burgandy wine I used. I'm game to try again but not if I end up with deep burgandy colored chicken, Any advice. That you.
I have baked a number of cheesecakes and, at least in my opinion, the graham cracker bottom is supposed to be damp. BUT if you mean soggy then I suggest that you wrap your spring-form pan EXCEEDINGLY CAREFULLY and that you make sure that no water can possibly get in over the top. Also, please don't try to use 2 pieces of foil in order to make a larger piece. It can't work. The water POSITIVELY will find a way through. Good luck
Perhaps I misled folks. I am interested in lactic acid not acetic acid. Unless I'm mistaken yogurt and sour cream both have high concentrations of the latter. What I want is the mild flavor that lactic acid produces for a laof I'm currently working on.
Hello All, I am interested in getting your thoughts on developing a maximum amount of lactic acid in my pre'ferment. Recipe, 1/4 cup water mixed with 1/8 tsp dry yeast, set aside.                                     65 gm. A.P. flour                                     10 gm W.W. flour                                      60 gm water                                      1 Tblsp of the yeasted water Beat well by hand for 2 min, cover and let rest at room temp...
Another factor that I have tried is reducing the HEIGHT of the meringue as I spoon it onto the pie. Unstead of trying to get a super high mound I reduced that height to about 2'. My thinking is that that will allow the meringue  to cook all the way through and hence weep less. That, plus the other factors listed above seems to be working even on the most humid, even rainy, days.