or Connect

Posts by ricwhiting

I TOO HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. i'VE TRIED VARIOUS POTATO VARIETYS, OIL TYPES AND TEMPS, ETC. ETC. ON AND ON. BUT THE REAL SECRET IS ANIMAL FAT, AT LEAST IN PART. MCDONALDS IS ALWAYS BEING SUED BY IDIOTS WHO EAT VAST PORTIONS, MULTIPLE TIMES PER WEEK, NEVER EXCERCISE AND ARE NOW FAT. GO FIGURE. THE REASON MCDONALDS RESISTS CHANGING THEIR FORMULA IS BECAUSE IT MAKES THE BEST **** FRIES IN THE WORLD.
Of the suggests given, the only one that I have not yet tried is the hot brick in the water trick. I can't wait to try it. I gather from all of the hints, that a brittle crust is strictly a function of: oven type, temp, humidity in oven. At least I don't have to worry about my dough, rising or benching method. Thanks all.
I'm baking AT HOME. NO STEAM OVEN. That said, is it possible to get quality results. I use bread flour, dried yeast, table salt and water, nothing else. I just can not seem to get that thin brittle crust that I'm looking for. I've tried: cast iron pan on the floor of the oven with ice cubes thrown in as bread goes in, very long oven pre-heat, etc. but no real nice brittle crust. Please help.
I now have plenty of recipes on making pepperoni. As it will take 6 weeks to "cure" it will be awhile before I know how it comes out. Thanks all. End thread
Yes, Moderator, I am indeed asking for a recipe for peperoni making. I make a killer pizza provided I can obtain the ingredients. And for me, I'm a hard core sausage, mushroom and pepperoni guy.
I'm stranded over-seas in Asia and if I don't get some good pizza soon I'm gonna die. Problem is very bad pepperoni over here. Ok, so I make my own. Right? I need a good recipe. Please write the recipe for some-one who has never even seen it made. Many Thanks
I have found that a good pinch of salt helps with the stability of meringues. I agree completely with the notion of using metal bowls and utensils when making meringues. For extra protection I wipe all with lemon juice. You did not mention where you live, but the higher the humidity the more sticky the meringue will be after cooling.
Hi Guys, Thanks for the info. I have located a source for sirloin roast but I'n told that it is extremely chewy. If anybody has any ideas about a marinade that will still retain that "down home" roast beef flavor, please let me know. Hint: it must be made from basic ingredients and not contain some special name brand off the shelf tenderizer because it is very unlikely that I could obtain it here. Thanks Again
I am a retired cook living in The Philippines. I'm helping a friend get his new restaurant open. As you may know, quality beef over here is very hard to come by. To make metters worse, the folks who man the meat counters have no idea what a roast is. I may have located a market that does its own butchering. My dilemma is that my knowledge of butchering is extremely limited. I would like to serve a nice , very large roast beef on Sundays but I'm not sure what cut to ask...