or Connect

Posts by allie

Thanks again! I will check out the group and maybe get a separate email for it.  That's what I had to do with another active group.  Changing the subject line isn't hard but I forget to do that myself sometimes!   I didn't know you could stack in the canner!  Is there special equipment to allow you to do that or do you just put the jars on top of one another?  It might be tall enough for 2 half pints but not sure about regular pints.  It's stored in the garage...
I didn't even think of canning food for him. Now I feel really silly!  I know how to can vegetables and sauces so could easily learn to do more.  I have a pressure canner and lots of jars.  That's a great idea!  Thanks!    I usually follow the UGA guidelines and really do not have the time to be involved with a group of that size but I may check it out and put it on digest.  Then I should be able to search for the information I need instead of having to read through...
I saw dry ice yesterday at a local grocery store.  Theysell it by the pound and I think it was $1.19 but they were only recommending a day or so in a cooler.  Having never used dry ice, I don't know what kind of life expectancy it has.    About 11:30 or so, I got the dreaded call again.  He had a car accident about 9:30 am.  He hit some black ice on a curve and the truck ended up in the middle of the road on it's top.  He is fine, no real injuries this time but the...
  Brooke, that's why we haven't really given a lot of though to the convenience foods.  He would not touch ramen with a 10 foot pole.  He would eat CBRD ravioli but knows it's not any healthier than eating fast food.  As far as sandwiches, he  goes to Subway often so dealing with having to keep meats cool, bread from getting smashed for that sort of meal isn't a valid option.   He is thinking about all the options we have been presented.  It's difficult when there is...
Those are reasons why he hasn't already taken my electric buffet ranges on the road.  When he was in the construction/refurbish side of the business, they would take along a small grill and cook burgers, brats, and stuff like that.  They would buy sides from grocery stores.  With the driving job, it's just him and not a crew of guys so he started just buying food.  His employer does pay for his meals but still, he is so tired of that and it's just not healthy.   You...
The son and I had braised oxtails in a tomato sauce with carrots served over brown rice.
I'll check out those burners and talk to the people at the store.  I have boiled in the FoodSaver bags since that mishap. It takes more than one little problem like that to scare me away!  I was just hoping there might be a lower cost option.  I try to be pretty frugal.  However, since meals are paid for by his boss, we will probably be able to work something out since it's going to cost less overall, I'm sure than restaurants at every meal.          
Where do you get these boiler bags? I have reheated pulled pork and stuff like that in the Food Saver bags dropped in a pot of boiling water, and it worked well every time except one when there must have been a tiny hole in the bag! I think something like that would be a great option for him. That way, I can just freeze servings of what our son and I eat on weeknights so he has some variety! Oh the juice idea is good and he loves iced tea so could freeze some of that,...
He drives an extended cab Sonoma and the front is packed with work stuff.  The back has a capper and has a generator, large truck utility box, and more tools and such for work.  He might be able to squeeze one of those fridges in there.   I have a couple of electric hot plates that I've cooked on when we had an issue with our gas range in the past.  They are a little slow to heat but I've cooked many meals on them and have loaned them to friends who needed a...
My SO travels for his job. It's typical for him to be gone for a few days to a week at a time, every week. During this time, he does a lot of driving each day and it's a different town and motel every night. When he eats at home, he has no tummy problems but when he's out on the road, eating fast food, pizza, and other restaurant food, he has a lot of stomach issues.   He would like to take food from home but that in itself causes some problems. For one thing, if it...