or Connect

Posts by Shimmer

When I was working in a busy restaurant kitchen, I was simultaneously undergoing chiropractic therapy for a car accident where my back was injured. He gave me three really great stretches to do that relieve back pain, especially the kitchen kind, from being slightly hunched over to cut, dice, chop, etc. 1) Make your hands into fists and put them in front of your face, with elbows pointing to the floor. Don't move your hands but bring your elbows in a circle, up and...
As a new vegetarian, I have been exploring new meat alternatives with reckless abandon. I cooked a wonderful meal of sweet and sour tofu with sesame green beans. Then I was reading about TVP, and thought wow, a hamburger substitute, that would be nice. Ahem. I should have had a clue when one website I found recipes on was a site full or recipes on how to cook during times of emergency rations. My husband usually eats everything I make, he says I am a good...
Saturated fat, which effects cholesterol levels, is largely found in animal products. I would suggest replacing some meals with plant-based dishes instead. If you do some research on vegan cooking, you will find many substitutes for common ingredients. I know that bananas can be used instead of eggs in baked goods, for instance, but I'm not familiar with the exact ratio. No jumping off bridges, okay? I'm not saying you must go vegan to reduce your cholesterol, but...
I tried a recipe at work the other day that I was very unsatisfied with. It is a cake that is often requested by the customers, but I hadn't made it yet. The directions instruct you to take the cake immediately from the oven and take it out of the pan right away and wrap it in plastic, to keep the cake moist. Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but what happens to me when I take a cake right out of the pan, it breaks and cracks. And it did. Luckily we use...
I have a job for us! (I voted for purple also) When I was growing up, we believed each color did something for you. We all know what the green M&Ms were for, right ladies?!?! So now that purple is new, we need to assign it a superpower, not like flying, but enhanced something... maybe ESP? Suggestions?!? ~~Shimmer~~:bounce:
The first job I had was teaching piano lessons. I would go to kids houses after school (still only a kids myself!) and their parents would pay me $10 every half hour to teach them how to play the piano. It never failed, I always got the overachiever students who would have been great if they had time to practice. One family had horses and all the kids were in dance AND ran the family farm in addition to taking piano lessons. It was crazy. To this day, although I...
I have actually read books on the Russian tea room, it was #1 on my list should I ever get to New York. Now I guess I'll have to go to Russia?!? I've never had blintzes and caviar!!!! I think the U.S. should do what Costa Rica did- eliminate the military. They have so much money per capita now. How can you be strong outside until you're strong inside? *Dodges angry darts from everyones eyes* Wait! This isn't the topic! I digress, it's one of my pet...
I thought this would be interesting. My husband has been a semi-vegetarian for a long time, only recently deciding he wants to cut fish out all together. I have always been a meat-eater. I have also always had digestive problems. I remember going to the doctor when I was young and the doctor saying "There are elephants and zebras running around in there!" Back then, nobody ever considered eliminating items from my diet since I did not show classic signs of...
I couldn't answer the poll, because I was asked to be a part of a culinary club today but haven't been yet. It's an extension program, from one of the state universities, and a lot of ladies I work with are involved. They focus on community service and cooking, and go on trips to eat too. =) Sounds like grown-up 4-H from what I can tell. ~~Shimmer~~
I have a wonderful recipe for peanut butter fudge, but I'm sorry, it was passed down to me as a strictly protected secret. It is a better recipe than any chocolate ones I have, although I wish I had an amazing chocolate one too! I like chocolate so much more than peanut butter. I made a recipe I found online the other day for fudge that is powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and you pour a little milk over that and stick margarine in the middle and microwave it until...