or Connect

Posts by Shimmer

Manchego and pear Chocolate and rasberry Coffee and orange :bounce: BLTs Honey and cayenne pepper Blue cheese and bacon ~~Shimmer~~
I like mochas with orange flavoring. Yum. Or macadamia nut syrup. Mezzaluna- if you can eat chocolate, find some mexican chocolate (already has cinnamon in it!) and that should melt fairly well into your coffee. There is cinnamon torani type syrup, but it tastes more like cinnamon candies (red-hots) than cinnamon sticks. I find adding vanilla flavor (or extract) brings out the cinnamon as well in a dark coffee. ~~Shimmer~~
I found a simple but wonderful sounding recipe for chickpea flour pancakes, of middle eastern origin. Instead of driving home from church on the interstate, I took the long way, from one end of Indianapolis to the other, stopping at every import store and major grocery store I could think of. When I got home, I called every natural foods/ health foods/ ethnic market/ international import store I found in the phone book. Nobody has chickpea flour. One man offered to...
That's the one! Hopefully someday I will be qualified enough to be a member (I'm thinking more of the restauranteur side- it's a dream that hasn't gone away). I guess my point being, books are good, but if you can get connected to people who live the life in your area, they might very well prove to be an even better resource. ~~Shimmer~~
My boss belongs to a great national organization for women chefs and restaurant owners. I'm not exactly sure of the name, but she and severeal other female chefs were recently featured in a museum exhibit that combined cuisine with quilts (quilt artists sampled the cuisine from particular chefs, then created a quilt to go along with it), sponsored by this organization. The organization in turn donated money for girls and young women to be able to take classes,...
My sister is turning 20, and when she has her birthday she'll be in the middle of working at a camp, and she can't leave. She is also 2500 miles away. However, I want her to be able to celebrate her birthday, and was looking for recipes that would travel well and still be almost as good by the time they get there. She tends to have traditional tastes- chocolate, caramel, and fruity, but not too many flavors blended together. Since she is a camp counselor, it...
I used to think that basil would be the one herb I couldn't live without, but I'm beginning to think cilantro might be more important. I use it when I cook Indian, Thai, and Mexican-flavored dishes. I put it in salsa, omelets, polenta, enchildas, pesto, scrambled eggs, I could go on and on. I planted basil and cilantro in two pots on my deck (all I had room for, we live in a small apartment) and the cilantro ended up growing both places! Can't wait for more to grow...
All I know is that it can be addictive and money-consuming. I had a friend who made all of his own clothing (including capes and codpieces) and participated in fake battles and musical competitions. I knew I lived in the Kingdom of An Tir, they divide the entire country (world, really) up into kingdoms. It's cool. If I had the time and money, I would join. I always thought I was born in the wrong century, although I do like running water and air conditioning. ...
(These are from when I worked at a tiny bakery, take into account that we generally baked the same amount of product daily, apart from the bread, which went by orders, and on weekends we did five times the weekly amount because of local bed and breakfasts) 1) Not applicable 2) Scooped, flattened between precut parchment squares, and stored in narrow sour cream containers. Dough was made every other day. Cookies baked every morning, and day-old cookies were marked...
I used to work at this restaurant where the head waiter would call me names and yell and talk about "HIS" customers. It got so old and so fast. Sometimes it was in fun, sometimes it wasn't. On one particularly stressful day (the waitstaff shared my fridge over by the salad station) I got something out and slammed the door on his head, not intentionally although he thought it was and at times I wish it had been. :D Suffice to say, he was not a problem after that. ...