or Connect

Posts by HeavyMetal Chef

The oven is right. We found another recipe that works perfect. Thank you all.
The only thing maybe is that the pecan mix is changed but we have tried all three mixes and the same result. The dependant variable comes to the same result. All the products are the same and we order nothing of a different brand. We make the same size batches. I'm just lost for once. I usually can figure out the problem but it is a little hard now. Thanks though.
Hello again everyone. I have a question about the ghetto pecan cakes that we have at work. For the last about 10 times I have made them they have came out perfect. They conist of an almond sweet dough base, pecan pie filling (usually with a little flour in it) and the pecans of course. Now these past 3 times we have been trying to bake them the almond sweet dough base has been floating in the mix (or we also suspect that the filling seeps under the base). We have...
Have you tried to increase the brown butter and add about .5%-1% sodium alginate or add a little xanthan gum.....it might beable to emulsify the fat and liquid. Just shooting it out there.
...are all of them the same or do you have to find one where you fit in? Here is my scenario, I left the Ritz pastry kitchen (which I was great at and felt I needed a better challenge) to go work for Michael Richards Citronelle. I worked there...for 8 days. I was ok the first 3 days but I was learning very little. Everytime I would ask about something I would get the response, "I don't know" or "we don't have time" from the people that were training me. So 1 day...
Cheese whiz and triscuts....oreo flavored ice cream with oreos on the side and a big glass of milk...pepperage farm milano cookies....famous amos vanilla sandwich cookies.....chips ahoy......I love cookies hardcore.
Molecular gastronomy...now I remember what people call it. I see it this way, you can use molecular gastronomy to enhance your food or you can use it to bring it down. You can over use it too but at least give it a shot. Cooking at a level (other than industrial level) where you use molecular gastronomy is bringing your art foward if it is used properly (which I'm still in the process to perfect/experiment with it...I will NEVER send out a bad product...its just...
So I have a decent amount of these additives and I need to know how to use them further so I asked a few questions and if you have recipes please contribute: 1. What other than make powders can I do with tapioca maltodextrin and can I emulsify things with it (i.e. salad dressings)? 2. I know that you have to use .5-1% bean gum (never got a specific on what type it is but I think it is guar) and heat to thicken up a liquid but what else can I do and how do I properly use...
To really define my chocolate milk shakes I take 3 1.5oz scoops of quality chocolate ice cream (usually french style homemade or ben and jerrys brownie batter) and a shot or 2 of godiva chocolate liqour.....really defines the flavor and gives that extra something you need.....21 and up treat though.
I may not be THE pastry chef of the kitchen but i can tell you a few things i have noticed about our product (mainly chocolate). First off, out of preference I like cocoa barry cocoa powder because it has rich cocoa flavor and it is not to acidic unlike des alps and valrohna (did double chocolate chip cookies with each cocoa powder). Des alps dark chocolates (mainly 50%, 63% and 70%) have a fruity flavor with a slight acidity to it. Valrhona is more acidic and slightly...