or Connect

Posts by siduri

Phew!  I said it because i knew several people who made sauce with just cans of tomato paste!  and they sell it in such large cans in  the states and the uk that i think it must be common. 
I'd reduce the wine (to me it seems too much anyway, also port is sweet, but if you like the taste, i would reduce it.  I think there are two kinds of tomato sauce, those that are thick and reduced and simmered half the day and those that are fresh and not simmered more than half hour.  I prefer the latter.  Please don;t use tomato paste, it's awful in quantity like that.  Tomato paste is meant to be watered down, or added to add flavor to some other sauce or soup.  I also...
Wow, chris, you took it and ran.  Very nice! 
Here's a different ossobuco that i've made but not for a long long time.  I remember it was very good and it's another recipe for "melted" anchovies and also from the Talisman cookbook   1 tbsp butter 4 veal shin bones 4 inches long with meat (i made it with the more traditional flat ossobuco cut) 2 tbsp flour salt, pepper 1.2 cup dry white wine 1 cup water 1 tsp chopped parsley 1 clove garlic crushed 4 one-inch strips of lemon peel 1 anchovy fillet chopped 1...
One thing that makes it easier is a mixer.  I use a kitchen aid, but even a small hand held mixer can easily mix the butter to the flour without melting it, if you watch it and have already cut the butter up in small pieces.  the stickiness can be from butter melting, or from too much water. So if you don't have a mixer, cut the butter very small, or freeze it and grate it (careful holding it, use a towel to protect it from the heat from your hands) and then rub quickly...
Just a question - isn;t there a problem with mixing cheese in a sauce, that the cheese clumps up, and isn;t there a way to prevent that?  i sort of remember this, back when i did this sort of thing more often (the kids still home, making macaroni and cheese using a mornay) but i don't remember now.  Or am i remembering wrong?
Thanks Chris.  But the website doesn't say (i didn;t see it anyway) what is the difference between beating the sugar into the eggwhites and folding it into them.  I know sugar stabilizes eggwhites, but does too much sugar ruin them?  and if you fold it in, what happens?  why fold it in when you could just beat it all in?  And above all, why, in these recipes, like julia child's for broyage or others for angel food cake, don;t they explain why they say to do it that way? 
 I still wonder why the recipe i have, and some for angel cake, call for some of the sugar to be folded in.  What is the advantage of that, what is the effect? 
Ordo, i never consider salt and pepper to be part of a "recipe" but as part of life.  I never measure either and just sprinkle them on as if they were unsalted food in my dish.  The recipe doesn't say, and i haven'\t made it in some time, so i don;t remember what i do, but i think it's pretty irrelevant.  Since my memory for cooking is mainly in my hands and eyes, not in words, i think, imagining myself making. it i would probably pepper it before browning (because i'd be...
Ok, FF and Chris, Lamb country style from Ada Boni Talismano della felicita, english translation   1 1/2 lb lean lamb shoulder, boned and cut in large cubes 2 tb olive oil 1/4 cup butter 6 anchovy filets chopped 1 clove garlic chopped (1 tbsp fennel seeds) (I don;t use them) 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest 2 tbsp wine vinegar 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1 tbsp flour 1 cup stock or water   brown meat slowly in large frying pan with butter and oil.  Mix togehter...