or Connect

Posts by siduri

Chris, yes, "flower" was a middle or elisabethan spelling of flour - and in italian they might say "fior di grano" even if the usual word is farina - fior means flower.  so i figured bloem sounded enough like bloom to be flower, therefore flour.  (there's a bit of the detective in me).    so poedersuiker is icing sugar, but isn't icing sugar powdered sugar?  the fine powderlike sugar without visible grains?
Thanks Chris, i'll try it.  i see that even in this one the sugar is half beaten in and half folded, but the one i used had a very small proportion beaten in to the meringue.  I wonder if that made it too chewy. I can't find almond flour here, so i just grind my almonds in the blender, but perhaps they exude too much oil that way?  i think if i could grate them they would be less compressable.  when you say wheat flour, you mean white flour?  i noticed your picture shows...
Chris, I don't believe i've ever had bitter stock.  Have you really tasted it to be bitter if all the blood etc is in it?  chicken is never bitter, don't see why the stock would be.  
There's a wonderful lamb stew which is in Ada Boni's Talismano della Felicita', one of the classic home books of cooking in italy, apparently.  There's an english translation of selected recipes, called the talisman cookbook which has this stew.    You brown the lamb chunks in oil with garlic, then sprinkle with flour and keep browning, pressing the flour into the pieces, then you add (i'm at work and don;t have the book with me) i believe water, some lemon peel and some...
I don't know if this is off topic, but if i'm making chicken broth for my family use, why would i want to ELIMINATE protein.  Ok, it won't be clear, but won't it have 1. more flavor, and 2. more nutrients?   does it TASTE better if it's not cloudy and doesn't have this "dirt"?  isn't the "dirt" protein, and why would we eliminate the protein from a food?  except for aesthetic reasons.   thanks
I imagine some of the sugar would go into the nuts, but in julia child's recipe, all but 3 tbsp goes into the meringue, the rest is folded in with the nuts.  It just doesn;t seem right, and makes me think that's the reason it's chewy.  She calls for and i used superfine sugar.    I also remember most angel food cakes call for only part of the sugar in the meringue and the rest folded in.  It seems bizarre to me, and i wonder the reason for it. 
Hmmm, but then you're stuck with the chicken breasts.  I imagine they package stuff differently here, but at the butcher you can get what you want and are always asked if you want the feet and neck when you buy a whole chicken, but even at the supermarket, you can get thighs, thighs with back, drumsticks wings, backs (three to a package) backs with wings, breasts with bone or without and fileted.  I go for the thighs, debone them and save the bones in the freezer for...
Well, boiled chicken (or simmered chicken) is not the most pleasant dish in the world, so it's important to know what to do with it.  Chicken salad, chicken pot pie, chicken tetrazzini, that wonderful chicken corn chowder someone posted once, chicken croquettes, all are ok with simmered chicken, but beyond that, unless you develop a taste for lesso and use the hen, it's pretty depressing.  And i wouldn't leave all that meat in for the whole time you have to simmer it for...
Most often i make chicken using thighs only, which i bone myself or occasionally, if i can go to a butcher and he's not got a crowd waiting, have him debone them, but i have him give me the bones.  I throw them in a bag, and into the freezer, till i get a lot of bones.  Then i make soup.    If i want to use a whole chicken i use a hen, (which interestingly, here, come with all the ovaries, and a ton of egg yolks from full size to tiny pin heads..  I had never seen this...
I don't see why frozen pizza should necessarily be bad.  If you can freeze your own and it comes out ok, then an industrial freezer would probably do a better job, and pizza is just a bread dough and some very simple stuff on top, some tomato sauce and some mozzarella.  When my kids were still in high school and came home for lunch i would have a few small frozen pizzas for them if there was nothing else - the best brand i found was a cheap no-name brand.  Much better...