or Connect

Posts by thebighat

I just sold a copy of Fernand Point's book on Amazon in 6 hours for 100 bucks. Also sold Alice Medrich's brownie book fairly quickly. Then I start searching for some of the other 70's French cookbooks I have, Verge, Guerard, Troisgros, Bocuse, and they are dirt cheap. So I figure why bother? You can also sell books at abebooks.com.
Because when you add the dry first, the fat in the creamed mixture will start to coat the flour particles and you will avoid the development of gluten. You end with dry to take up any available moisture in the batter.
Mycryo is used at a rate of 3 to 6 times, or 4 to 8 times depending on who you talk to Cacao Barry, what you would use for gelatin. For a thicker mixture, use the three factor. Something a little thinner, use the 6 factor. The example they gave me was the difference between a mousse made with cassis puree and one made with passion fruit puree. It needs to be dissolved at 160 degrees in some of what is being thickened and then I stir it till it's well emulsified. It's...
Get some mycryo from Cacoa Barry. That's been working pretty good for me. It's powdered cocoa butter.
There is something way out of whack with that cake in the first post. Too much butter, too much sugar. I don't know the mathematical basis for cake formula balancing, but there is one. Ingredients need to be in certain ratios to each other. Think of a pound cake, equal parts of sugar, flour, eggs, and butter. This cake has more sugar than fat, 28 oz to 16 oz, and only 12 oz of eggs and 25 oz of flour. I think I'd find another recipe. Off all the things that could be...
No, I don't think so. It's added to pie dough to weaken the gluten. I wouldn't ever put it in bread, and yes, from the description that baguette dought sounds wrong, somehow. French bread dough should be smooth, not lumpy, not wet, not sticky, though if you pinch it, it may hang on to you after a bit. But it shouldn't come off on your fingers.
The stuff goes right into the chocolate and should melt if the chocolate is at 90 degrees. 1% of a pound is .16 oz, so yeah, a little less than a quarter ounce would do it. I don't know what that is in volume measurements.
I was on the phone today with a guy from Cacao Barry about this stuff. It is used at a rate of 1.5 to 1 to 1.8 to 1 in place of gelatin. It needs to be dissolved in liquid first, he said anything over 90 F will do it. The higher substitution amount would be for something like a mousse cake that would compress under it's own weight. He said it's more stable at room temp than gelatin, but basically, unless you got the insert that comes with it, or are willing to pony up...
No, you can't. It's specifically formulated for hi-ratio cakes. I have a recipe somewhere, just need to find it. Maybe it's even posted on this board somewhere. Whaddya know? It's in the thread on this page called I need Help. whole eggs 3 lb 5 oz liquid shortening 1 lb 4 oz milk 1 lb vanilla 2 oz sugar 2 lb 8 oz cake flour 2 lb baking powder 2.25 oz salt .75 oz Put all liquid ingredients in mixer bowl. Sift all dry ingredients. Place dry on wet, mix...
I've always said, as far as being creative goes, I have good technical skills.