or Connect

Posts by thebighat

Touche!....
I have a pristine copy of Laurel's Bread Book, but have never tried to make desem. I did what I said I was going to do and walked into Williams-Sonoma in the shops at Columbus Circle looking for your bony butt, but the young woman acting as concierge had never heard of you. What happened? You never take that job? I had the ineffable experience of realizing that the pastry case in my Whole Foods looked better at the same hour on a Wednesday morning than the one in...
I must have misspoke myself. I do know something about the lower protein flours, and I know I wouldn't use them for puff dough. More on what I know about puff dough.....
I don't know about the lower protein thing, but it kind of makes sense that the fewer folds, the crunchier. The dough layers will be thicker, though the times I've baked say the trimming of croissant dough after not enough folds just to see what would happen, it was crunchy, but I would also describe it as coarse, not finished. I use a 3, a 4, a 3 and a 4. There is a point of no return when making turns. You can smoosh everything together and then not get a lot of puff.
Nope, that's correct as written. It works. Don't ask why..liquid shortening is strange stuff.
Martin Yan has a good one in one of his books. We used to get that stuff delivered warm to the country club I was at, straight from Chinatown in Boston. It was incredible. I don't know where the book is right now. I'll look. I've made it several times.
I was sitting alone in the dark one night, watching the Red Sox lose, drinking beer and eating Triscuits, when I became aware of a tickling sensation on my hands and lips. When I snapped on the light, the Triscuit box was full of ants and now they were walking all over me. Don't remember what they tasted like, as I was just hammered enough not to freak out.
whole eggs 3 lb 5 oz liquid shortening 1 lb 4 oz milk 1 lb vanilla 2 oz sugar 2 lb 8 oz cake flour 2 lb baking powder 2.25 oz salt .75 oz Put all liquid ingredients in mixer bowl. Sift all dry ingredients. Place dry on wet, mix on low for 30 seconds to moisten. Whip 4 minutes on high, scrape down, mix 3 minutes on medium. Scale 1 lb 7 oz to a 9" pan, 350 till golden brown. All purpose flour will...
This very question came up at work today as some customer bought about 40 bucks worth of Valrhonha gianduja and tried using it to make Easter eggs or something, and it didn't work.They had to give her another 40 bucks worth of something else. I don't know for sure,but my guess is that gianduja is meant to be a filling or ingredient in one, rather than an enrobing substance. You may have to get technical with temperatures with it, but I'd bet that the presence of the nuts...
I back away from people who are chewing with their stupid mouths open. We have a friend called "the snapper" who incessantly snaps her gum, green trident is apparently the best. I think it's a disgusting stupid habit. I just can't tolerate being near people who have their mouths going like that. My idea of a nightmare would find me trapped on a bus next to a huge person, smelly exhaust blowing in somewhere, I'm wicked hungover, and I can hear someone's headphones, and...