or Connect

Posts by Gail@Flavours

I've been hearing a lot of Viking bashing lately. I've had my Viking dual-fuel (gas cooktop, electric ovens) 48" range for about 6 1/2 years now and have had only 1 service call (for a faulty igniter on one burner) in all that time. The electric ovens (1 large and 1 small in the 48") are self-cleaning and the clean cycle works very well. I have a Viking chimney hood, very powerful, which I vented through the 2nd storey roof with an exterior fan, so that noise would...
I love my Dansko clogs - "Professional" series: They're hard leather slip-on clogs, with a closed back and non-slip, ridged sole.( http://www.dansko.com/Product_Detail...020202&VID=700 )
ORIGINAL POSTING IN OTHER THREAD DATED OCT. 14/06: I made an apple pie using whole spelt flour, and coconut oil as the sole fat in the crust. The coconut oil has a similar consistency to vegetable shortening and the dough was easy to work with. For the filling I used two-thirds Granny Smith apples and one-third Macintosh (I like an apple pie with some mushiness inside), some lemon juice, arrowroot flour, cinnamon, and erythritol instead of sugar (I'm diabetic). I'm...
Hi Kittycat, Let me tell you about my experience. In 1998 at the age of 39, with a husband and 2 kids aged 11 and 7, I decided to enroll in the Culinary Management diploma program at The George Brown Chef School (a community college; low tuition) in Toronto. Like you, I had few "professional" skills. I was a great cook, have always had an incredible passion to read about food, experience exotic and wondrous flavours, cook for my family, and learn all I could about...
Maran Illustrated Cooking Basics, from Maran Graphics Inc. (see www.maran.com/cooking.htm ), published in March 2006 by Thomson Course Technology PTR. A highly visual (full colour photographs) step-by-step instructional book of professional culinary techniques and simple recipes with 10 ingredients or under.
Welcome, Minerman. I hope I don't get blasted for doing this, and I know that I shouldn't be promoting my work on this forum, but... I served as the expert culinary consultant and recipe developer for Maran Illustrated Cooking Basics (see www.maran.com/cooking.htm) , a how-to instructional cooking book that's filled with step-by-step instructions and full colour photographs for most of the culinary techniques you can think of, all demonstrated for the home cook using...
Hi Musky. Been there, done that. You're lucky to have gotten away with only a three-month renovation. When we did our renovation 3 years ago, I was without a kitchen for 15 months! Our renovation included some major work, including an addition to the house to create a kitchen/family room that was totally functional and which I designed with the intent on opening a small cooking school in. Like you, I'm loving it and still look at it in awe. I'm thrilled with my...
Just make sure when freezing chicken pies that the chicken has been pre-cooked before the pie was assembled. I'd be worried about the food poisoning possibilities otherwise.
When creaming the butter and sugar, never use melted butter. Soften the butter at room temperature; never heat it to soften. A hint for faster softening: cut the butter into thin slices and place each slice singly along the bottom and sides of a stainless steel bowl. You'll have softened butter in no time. Next, the creaming is probably the most important step in making a pound cake. Cream the butter and sugar together for at least 5-7 minutes using a stand mixture,...
Hi again, Ballard. RAS is right - don't assume anything. If something is not called a "Bachelor of..." degree, it's NOT. Just because you'll be attending a school for the same number of years as someone pursuing a university degree, does not mean you'll come out with the same quality of degree. From what I understand, a lot of people make this mistake and find out only after they've completed their programs. Another school I've heard great things about is Johnson &...