or Connect

Posts by RAS1187

After a quick browse of this thread I have not seen my personal favorite... SLEEP   I guess I also tinker with computers alot more than the average cook. I still think I am better with that then I am in a kitchen.
I don't consider myself the best line cook, but I definitely think I hold my own up in the kitchens I work in. When one of our good cooks leaves, I am genuinely happy for them to move onto better things, but I think now about the monstrous task of finding and training people. I originally thought that in a city as big as Chicago, there would be a deeper talent pool to dig into as opposed to other places, but it just seems like you have to dig through even more people to...
So many of these I can't post here as they are really bad...   Worked with a hotel chef that was particular about dishes being more "colorful". Even if a dish was assembled and garnished appropriately (to the rest of us), he still insisted on throwing micro greens, parsley sprigs, pomegrante seeds, etc. just for the sake of making the dishes more colorful while disregarding the flavor profiles of the dish and additional ingredients. The banquet sous chef had about enough...
While I am fortunate enough to have a job with benefits, I know that most of my fellow kitchen folk either have no benefits or the packages their employer offers is extremely unreasonable ($250/month). I am sure this is why most of us skip on doctors visits. They can be upwards of $150+ per visit just for a checkup. Either that or they don't want to get nagged at for the excessive drinking/smoking.   I moved to a different side of the city about 2 years ago, and my...
If it was only a few days, no. If it is worth mentioning (like Alinea or something) I would be sure to sway the interview conversation in a direction where I could casually bring it up and go into brief detail. Otherwise it seems like "filler" to make your resume seem more substantial than it really is. Just my personal opinion.
You can call and try, but being they are the only 3* restaurant in the city I can almost guarantee you that they are flooded with applications and resumes. They can be picky. I would try to look up other great restaurants that are not as recognized as I feel your odds of success would be better with them. Keep searching, calling, and leaving messages. Your biggest hurdle to overcome is that you are on a limited timeframe and most places that are hiring are definitely...
As mentioned previously, it is hard to determine what is appropriate without knowing more about the restaurant or the chef. Hopefully you have done your research on both. In my opinion the 3 dishes you are choosing each have a different theme to them and do not stand harmoniously together. Of course keep in mind this is only opinoin. I would try to choose an overall theme that matches well with the restaurant/chef (ex. if it is an Italian restaurant, a cajun steak with...
Gifts that I have seen chefs appreciate:   A 12 pack of pens (nice rollerball ones) with a bottle of jack   A really nice (parker, movado, etc) pen   A nice digital thermometer   A very nice pairing knife (I don't know many chefs that have actually bought one, so receiving one is a nice compliment to their sets)
Have you researched which restaurants you would like to work in this city? The possibilities are endless, but you should definitely start looking around and start trying to call a few places to explain your situation and see if they may be able to help. The worst they can say is no, right?   This may sound weird, but I also suggest looking through the F&B Job Postings on craigslist. I have helped many a friend (and myself) set up stages/jobs from leads I've found there.
A certificate is a piece of paper with the school's name printed on it. Different schools give different certificates for different things. No real way to compare one to another. Worth next to nothing on the hierarchy of higher learning.   A degree is accredited and recognized as either a AA or a BA (or higher, but I doubt you're doing that). Regardless of where you go, the degree lets others know that you achieved a specific level of learning more distinct than any...