or Connect

Posts by W.DeBord

If you need your truffles to store at room temp. you'll need more science then I can offer. Just plain truffles (choc., cream, butter, liquour) won't hold out of the cooler for more then a couple days. Personally I'd find it more trouble then it's worth, unless they could really make some good money for you. Chocolate covered pretzels are easily kept at room temp. but (this is a pet peive for me because I LOVE choc. pretzels) so often they are kept too long. Alot...
Wow, this is exciting. I can't add any advice, but I'm sure either way- life will always hold good options for someone like you.
I hear ya and feel for you Danno! She choose you for your expertise and then doesn't take your advice........ Somethings can't be saved or worked out. BUT when this kind of thing happens to me, later on long after the facts are over, I always wish I had continued and tried to succeed instead of leaving out of frustration. But I've left out of frustration at more then one place, so I surely understand how you feel. If you can-take a deep breath and try to stand...
The missing information to this whole thread is: what is the owners business plan? Has she run any numbers on a calulator to see what kind of business volume she needs to do to actually become profitable? Then looked at how she was going to produce that quanity with the people and equipment she has right now. If she can't match those two (which no one can do with-out a freezer) she needs to make adjustments and find some more income, because her plan was flawed from the...
There aren't alot of small (2 people) bakeries that do those kinds of numbers. Considering that it's a new place, you'd really have to advertise and have the right spot (alot of businesses in the area) to do those kinds of numbers. Display case or no case, first you have to have that kind of volume walking in your doors looking for that SPECIFIC item (since your not selling a wide variety of baked goods). My opinions. Bakerys that do those numbers on cakes are selling...
I found it on the shelf at a Mier store, in the Spanish section. It goes with Breyers vanilla ice cream rather well!
Well you sound like the old me, ps. I'm a pastry chef too. Well perhaps you need to do as I did (and that took along time), get out and about. There's places that are in the current century. You know, sometimes it's the sqeakie wheel that gets the oil. Perhaps there's a little cross over to how chefs are hired. Acting like a great chef seems to fool some people........owners and managers can be some of the easiest to fool. They are often seeking a quick fix or a life...
Red Cake: 1/2 c. shortening 1 1/2 c. sugar 2 eggs 2 oz. liquid red food coloring 2 tbsp. cocoa powder, heaping 1 c. buttermilk 1 t. salt 2 1/4 c. flour (ap.) 1 t. vanilla 1 t. soda 1 tbsp. vinager Typical proceedure for a butter cake (although this doesn't have any butter, HA). BUT you mix the vinager in the soda, then add to recipe. If I was you I would DEFINATELY make this using the 325 baking technique where you wrap in plastic right out of oven. I do...
Unforunately this is my Hubbies favorite B-day cake. No one else really likes it.........their really bland and heavy, blah. But for those few who love it, I have a decent recipe. I've gotten raves on it (but their NUTS) from a couple members. I have to look it up, I'll be back later to post it. P.S. Also, they sell it in mixes (DH), but theres a huge difference between the mix (light and moist) and a scratch recipe(dense and not that moist). Also YES the icing has...
Now that I've gotten out and around to more kitchens my general opinion of the current breed of chefs is AUE. Perhaps all the bad apples desided to move to SF. Sure I've come across some real losers over the years (and have talked about it TOOOOO much here). I've currently ran into several young ones that think their s___ doesn't stink and they can do no wrong since they attended CHIC or some other junior college. But they all get humilated eventually.........love to see...