or Connect

Posts by bluedogz

Good afternoon-   Several of my family's favorite recipes include a jalapeno or two, which I buy in the produce section (not much of a gardener, me...)   Anyhow, the heat produced by these jalapenos seems wildly inconsistent... some days one pepper will be perfect, other times I'll need two to get beyond "is there pepper in this?"  This makes it very difficult to get the recipes right.   Is there any means of predicting a pepper's heat?  Could I even...
Ok, so years ago, my niece (then 4 years old) came for a visit for the Christmas holiday from Iceland.  At the time she had no knowledge of English, but was sweet all the same.  I tried to stock up on fun things for a 4-year-old to eat, but apparently the best item was the Jiffy-pop rig that poofed up on the stovetop.   She's 11 now, and since she left she has been going on and on to her mother and auntie (my wife) about the wonderful cakes that her Uncle Blue made,...
Isn't that the job of  good server?  I'm not a chef but I am a financial advisor, and client routinely ask for "something conservative that grows" which is impossible to do legitimately- so I need to educate them to give them the right thing.         I'll have to write that down... must be a generational thing.  If I had told my mom "Yeah, I'll get there in a minute" it would've meant instant death.
Actually, I didn't say no duck stock... I just wasn't sure what else to do.   There's barely any meat on the thing... just scraps really.  The wings are there but that's about it.  No legs either.   Took a lot of work to get all the skin and fat off- it's rendering on the stove right now.   The stock is looking like a better and better idea, despite those wonderful-sounding ideas, BDL.
The gully out back gave me a pleasant surprise this year... yards and yards of raspberry canes!
So I pulled out (from the freezer) what I thought was some bone-in pork chops to defrost for a recipe for tomorrow.  After defrosting in the fridge overnight, I opened up the (unlabelled... duh) freezer bag to discover.. a bird carcass!  Not pork chops, and not a whole bird either- the breasts are gone.  Seems that at some point in the past I pulled the breasts off for something else, and saved the carcass for another purpose and forgot about it.  (Boy, is my face...
Good afternoon-   This morning's project was raspberry-picking in the yard.  And now I'm 4 cups deep ready to make scones.   Ran to the market to pick up a container of light cream for my scone recipe, which is below if anyone cares for it.  On arriving home, I opened the container (with a sell-by date of Aug. 6) and found the cream clumpy and nasty-looking.  Oddly, it smells and tastes OK.  It's not entirely curdled- it's about as liquid as I would have...
Good questions there... this was a cheap roast gotten on sale and prepared to slice up for sandwiches.  Ordinarily, I'd have been motivated to turn fond into gravy, but this wasn't really fond as much as 'burnt-on &^%$.'
Well, I'm coming here to settle an argument, again...   After roasting a rump roast the other night, my perennial houseguest volunteered to 'clean up.'  An hour later, I found my roasting pan and v-rack out on the back porch filled with water.  When I asked, I was told that there was 'stuff burnt on' and they had to 'soak.'   I tried to explain that 'soaking' doesn't make burnt food/fond any easier to get off, just wetter.  However, when challenged, I couldn't...
As one of the non-professionals here, I have to agree- even disagreements here are based on comparisons of knowledge, and the undercurrent seems to be one of helping each other learn, not proving who is right and who is wrong.