or Connect

Posts by Cookiemomster

Have you tried a sourdough bread recipe? I don't have one here right now, but it should be easy to find. A sourdough starter can be kept going forever...I love yeasty bread, and I love sourdough bread. Might be a good substitute.
Fish and Seafood...boy do I wish I could learn to like it. I can eat tuna fish in tuna casserole, or mixed with mayo & seasonings in tuna salad, and that's the extent of my fish-eating. The Red Lobster commercials have me almost convinced I could eat lobster or shrimp sometimes, but I really can't when it comes right down to it. Funny there's so many mentions of brussels sprouts, I adore them! It's actually a craving sometimes, try them roasted (very high heat, 'til...
100% Shortbread cookies last about an hour at my house, so I can't tell you for sure how long they'll last on the shelf. I know Walker's Shortbread is sold on store shelves in sealed canisters. I'm sure they must have at least a six month date. I work with cookies (a lot of them), but we have a 12 month shelf-life on them. We don't make an all butter shortbread, as shortenings have a longer shelf-life. You could always wrap the cookies really well and freeze them,...
You'll want to change the oil after using the fryer to cook proteins, especially fish, it gets nasty quick. If you're using it for veggies or pastries, it won't get bad quite so quickly. You can actually dispose of the oil in a corner of your back yard, it's biodegradable, and that's much easier than trying to pour it back into a bottle you already got rid of to throw it in the trash. Just make sure no animals get to it before it soaks into the dirt.
Yes, everything I've read seems to say that Marzipan is basically a smoother textured Almond Paste with more sugar. I will probably just have to experiment with the amount of sugar I add to the filling, I suppose it won't be a terrible thing (except for my figure) to have to eat all of the results, eh?
Okay, I got a really good deal on some marzipan, and I want to make some Almond Banket (a Dutch pastry). Problem is, all the recipes call for Almond Paste, but then go on to add sugar & eggs. Seems to me I should be able to use Marzipan, but I don't know if I'll still need to add more sugar and all the eggs. Does anyone have any ideas, or a recipe that uses Marzipan instead? Thanks a bunch, Grandma used to send Banket every Christmas, and it's just not the same since...
Some of the best store-bought Ginger Snaps have a great kick from red pepper, and Ginger Snaps are great with Apple Cider. I like to make a Ginger Snap crust for a lot of different pies (Pumpkin, especially), so stands to reason it would taste great with Apple Pie, right? What a round-about way of thinking, but that's how it goes with me...the ideas are there, somewhere, though!:crazy: If you need a brand name, let me know, 'cause I can tell you the best Ginger Snaps...
Hi, I just found this site while searching for an answer about baking. I didn't find it yet, so I'm sure I'll be asking soon. I'm a home cook, but love to experiment with cooking and baking. I'm looking for good Christmas food gift recipes now.