or Connect

Posts by Plum

What wise words. I think that is true of conversations I've had lately. Now I'll know to trust my instincts. Thank you.
Thank you for your good thoughts and prayers. My Dad died two weeks ago. That might sound like the failure of all our prayers but I wanted to reassure you that it hasn't felt like that. His time had come, but the preceeding year was the most loving, peaceful time my stubborn family ever had, and that is a blessing beyond words which comforts me still. His illness put things in perspective, so that we've chosen to be tolerant and loving. If we had to lose him, and...
I'll pray for Laura too. I'm praying for my father who has just discovered has cancer. I'm believing that God will heal them both, because we have asked it of him and know that what he has promised he is also able to perform. My heart goes out to you and your friends Aaron and Laura. Thank you for bringing it to us all. Plum
I had a friend who did this: keeping the stems on, soaked cherries for 3 days in liqueur (maybe kirsch?) and then dipped them in chocolate. Said to be very popular! Have fun inventing something new with recipes that call for berries of any kind. Plum.
sometimes when you buy things (i'm thinking like handbags and such) you get little sachets of silica in them to keep it dry...I wonder if anywhere sells such things?. I guess toffee apples are covered in that plastic and it does get pretty sticky. I'm no chef but would this work? Making flat sheets of your toffee, laying over plastic sheeting that can be peeled off in Melbourne and then the toffee broken? (Just a guess) Does seem a long way to send such things if...
Chiffonade, Maybe they just reissued it, or I got lucky, but when I went online just now to look around for the book you recommended, I came across this: http://www.allbookstores.com/book/1885440022 Which should link you to being able to buy this book by Elodia Rigante for just $30! Of course, no-one is allowed to buy the book until Chiffonade has her copy! Have fun. Plum
Sorry if I haven't been around much, I got addicted to reading the Julie/Julia Project blog, and it took up all my online time for a few months! Good to be back though, amongst this interesting crowd & happy band. Who else has been following it? For those who don't know, Julie Powell is a self-taught cook, who has been cooking her way through the whole of the 1967 edition of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, in just 365 days, which is a LOT of...
Hi Lamington, you might want to look out for a book called Dear Francesca. It was published in the UK by a Scottish-Italian woman who is part of a dynasty of food purveyors in Edinburgh. The book features her family recipes, and as such includes the kind of simple foods that Italians actually eat at home, such as pasta with lemon and butter etc, as well as the more usual classics. The format of the book is to pass on the cooking knowledge to her student daughter, so...
I think the main problem is that one's native language defines what rules you understand with spelling. As a linguist, I've always been someone who takes note of different patterns, but that's just me. Even as a graduate in Italian, I still sometimes have to check whether a letter is doubled (e.g. pizziccato or pizzicato?). Some people without good visual memory etc, as noted above, just don't see the difference because if English is your native language those patterns...
I guess you've looked at oatcakes and all the sorts of cheese cracker type flavourings? How about pepper biscuits? Nigella Lawson has one that she makes for Christmas, which has quite a bit of black pepper (amongst other things) and is otherwise a simple butter cookie. I was very interested to find that they lasted a long time. I found them to be quite an acquired taste - wasn't sure I liked them but my brother-in-law couldn't stop eating them! You could play around...