or Connect

Posts by Cooking_Sherry

Castironchef, Thanks for your reply. Sorry if the wording in my question made you think I didn't know that salsify was a root vegetable... I do. But thanks again for clarifying that anyway. I was just curious about the role of flour in a blanc. I think JonK gave me some insite into what the flour might be doing. And Jon, I made some artichoke hearts using Julia's blanc technique. I especially like this as I can chill and hold the artichokes in the blanc for a couple...
In a traditional blanc; water, lemon juice and flour are mixed together to prevent oxidation. (For ex: celeric) Does anyone know why the flour is added to the mixture and do you know how it aids in the prevention of oxidation? Also, a came acrossed a French recipe for salsify. The recipe read:"Pare and wash the salsify, cook until done in a pot of water mixed with the flour." Is this also a blanc or is a heated water and flour mixture know by a differnt French...
I'm am looking for a resource that will provide an equivalant measurement when using different salts. For example: 1/2 cup of Diamond Kosher salt is the same as 1/4 cup of table salt. These are the salts I'm trying to find equivalant measurement for: table salt sea salt Diamond kosher salt Morton kosher salt I thought I had come across this information a long time ago in Cook's Magazine but I've looked through several old copies with no success. So, if anyone...
Hi Kyle, If you are looking for information on learning how to become an apprentice, check out this web site: http://www.acfchefs.org/drctappr.html. If you don't fine what you are looking for here, give them a call down in Florida on their 800 number. I'm sure someone at the American Culinary Federation will be happy to help you. Cooking_Sherry
Jock - I'm basically using the same ratios as you. I like your suggestion of cooking my chicken a couple of hours before adding my vegetables to avoid clouding. In addition to allowing me to adjust my overall cooking time, without killing my vegetables,I can prevent my stock from clouding... great tip. However, are you boning out the whole bird and saving the carcass to make stock or are you using the whole bird when making stock . You're right about the cost....
I'm making chicken stock for sauce applications. I'm going to be making a white chicken stock. I have about 5 pounds of boned chicken carcasses. Not a lot of meat left on the bones. Which makes me think I should add some additonal meat to balance the flavor. In this instance, will the chicken part used make a difference? Would love to get rid of some drum sticks this way as my family is not real fond of them. Regarding cooking time, most of the recipes I've used call...
I like to make home made stocks but I am never quite sure how to tell when they are finished. I usually cook by time and if the stock doesn't congeal when cooled, I know I didn't cook it long enough. So , it's back on the stove for an additional reduction to fix the problem. I sure could use some tips from the pros on how to test my stocks. Many thanks! Cooking_Sherry
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to test both of these method tomorrow. I imagin I should lightly grease my sheet pan to avoid sticking if I soften the tortillas in sauce only???
Having problems with corn tortillas cracking. I've tried heating the tortilla using the following methods: 1) heating them in a pan on the stove. 2) leaving them in their bag and steaming them. 3) leaving them in their bag and microwaving them. ..still cracked What is the best way to heat a corn tortilla???? Also, I need to prep these in advance, place them in a half pan, top with shred cheese, covered with plastic, bring back to temp, and top with salsa....
Appreciate all of your replies. Many thanks. Cooking_Sherry