or Connect

Posts by Jappy

Hey guys, im moving from india to Canada - Toronto in about 5 months. I wanna take this time to get to know the place before i really set foot there. What kinda salaries does a junior sous chef earn in a 4/5 star hotel, what kinda perks can one expect in general (of course these are very subjective of the hotel/ restaurant you work for ...)  ??? would appreciate ur help japvir
I didnt quite understand ..please explain what an overrun means...
Dear FL Italian, Thanks a ton for writing, in fact u were the only one to do so. And the fact that u mentioned about pros n amateurs just goes to show what all we can learn from each other n how incomplete our individual nkowledge is..... Coming to the point ; 1. In traditional Italian gelatos, are egg yolks used at all ? I am having difficulty trying to imagine the consistency of a real gelato (the commercial stuff we get here in kolkata,. india is hardly any different...
Besides lookin simple yet classy, these garnishe are far easier to create n more impoetantly easier to dispense. Besides it keeps the focus on the food - just make sure it tastes real good, is served at the appropriate temperaure with simple drizzle of herbed oil / whatever, a sprig of a dill n probably a touch of paprika ... tell us what u think ....
i tried looking for posts on Gelatos n IceCreams - no luck. I usually whisk sugar with egg yolks, cook it over a double boiler,add milk n cream n make a thick custard (without starch/gelatin) add flavorings n churn in the ice cream machine. I believe this is the french way of makinig ice cream - is there an italian way as well - without eggs ? what really is the noticable difference between a gelato n an ice cream really besides the fat content etc ???
i tried looking for posts on Gelatos n IceCreams - no luck. I usually whisk sugar with egg yolks, cook it over a double boiler,add milk n cream n make a thick custard (without starch/gelatin) add flavorings n churn in the ice cream machine. I believe this is the french way of makinig ice cream - is there an italian way as well - without eggs ? what really is the noticable difference between a gelato n an ice cream really besides the fat content etc ???
Hello chefs, I want to replicate this ice cream i ate a while ago. It was a vanilla ice cream coated in dark chocolate. I tried melting compound chocolate, didnt happen coz the choc was too thick to coat the ice cream. Then i tried the trick with choc ganache / truffle, n thinning the sauce with veg oil as i didnt have cocoa butter. I ve seen this being done. the hot sauce being poured onto the cold icecream causing it to set. Any secrets i am missing ???? culinary...
i have quite a few cans of Jellied Cranberry Sauce left from the Christmas and New Year roast turkey. Its quite sweet (a bit tangy as well). We roast turkeys only on Christmas /New Years and so these cans of Cranberry sauce are gonna get expired by then. How can i use them....as a salad dressing / with pork chops/ i dunno. Help needed..... japvir
Dear Chefs, i have come across this term, E'SPUMA / ESPUMA, several times in menus but i dont know what it is/where it comes from/what it tastes like etc. please enlighten... japvir
Chef montelago, i guess ur right. but the grade of grana padano is something i cant change right now. should i try adding egg whites n cornflour to it to strengthen the tuile. probably adding those would also solve the problem of excessive oil from the melted cheese. thanks japvir