or Connect

Posts by mattie405

I'll second the rec for a Kuhn Rikon. I have quite a few pressure cookers here and have used this type of cooker for over 40 years now. Until I got my Kuhn Rikon a few months ago I found most of them to be pretty similar in function. Most of my current ones are made by Fagor and have held up very well, all are stainless steel, I got rid of the old aluminum ones years ago. The Kuhn Rikon I have is a 12 litre and stainless too, it is made to tighter specs than the others...
Braised short ribs, stuffed cabbage, hand made pierogie, potato latke, hearty soups, pot pies.This is my absolute favorite time of year to cook so I love making just about anything.
Old School, glad to have been able to help out. I finally just pitched the two new machines I had, I never did get anything but the standard form letter from them telling me I needed to upgrade to their new improved machine after numerous attemps to get resolution. Like I said "fool me once........." no second shot for them, I would never give them another dime of my money. I could have seen if my machines were even used a little but both were just tested to make sure...
Right now I have Greek Oregano, Basil, Creole Tomatoes, Beefsteak Tomatoes, Rosemary, Thyme, Parsly, Chives and Cucumbers and thats about all that will be done this year. I won't be here to enjoy any of it tho, leaving next week to go cross country to care for best friend of 42 years who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness...........already lost too many this year, 2010 is not turning out to be a good year.
DC    Leeniek is the person who was making the dress, although I got back a little while ago from the fabric/pattern store and did manage to pick up two summery lightweight cotton prints to make some little sun dresses for our 3 year old grand daughter. After sewing for many years for mostly boys it is fun to sew for a tiny little girl who won't tear the item to shreds in a few minutes. I also need to make some new curtains for the kitchen and the sliding glass doors, got...
I with you Koukouvagia on the Patsys and Grimaldis. I grew up eating the original Patsys, lived 3 blocks away until we moved a little further downtown but we still went to Patsys for our pizza. Now living 1600 miles away in what we consider a pizza wasteland we make do with some I make here at home. Now the family loves what I make so much they don't dream of Patsys every night anymore. I found a small high heat oven that goes to 800 and it cranks out some great pies,...
My hubby was the oldest of 15, his mother lived for watching the television, he raised most of his siblings and knew more about babies than I did when we had our first. He has always done things in the house and babysat our kids and those of a few single moms who worked with me too, we would have had a huge family like his if it was up to him. While he can cook he doesn't enjoy it but he does do dishes, laundry and anything else he sees that needs doing, very easy to get...
We had all boys, was a little sad that no girls came along. As they grew and were around me they all learned how to make clothing and to cook too. The two that are married have wives that thank me all the time for the guys learning all that they did, I think they learned it because they were interested in how those old sewing machines of mine worked so they would constantly hang around me at the machine just watching what I was doing until I would give in and let them try...
I loved when all the kids left home......terrible mom me! I took two of their bedrooms and tore out the wall between them and made one large room for my sewing and crafting area. Too bad that they then all decided that it would also be their storage area, you know the stuff that doesn't fit in their homes, it's so bad now that I am about to go on a rampage. I finally got the nice sewing and cutting tables and all and as of right now you can't see the tops of any of them...
It does take an enormous amount of control for me to walk past the sales, but at this late stage in life I don't think I would even have the time to sew up all the fabric I already have here. When I was still living in NYC I was buying fabric every week and never getting to sew any of it up so I have years of accumulation. I guess it's a good think that I never went in for too trendy things and stuck mostly to classics as the stuff I have isn't out of date. Last year...