or Connect

Posts by newbiechef

well, thanks a bunch for all the expertise information and sharing the experiences you all have had. i think i have decided to wait AT LEAST a semester and work in a real kitchen or a bakery... even if it is only a position like dishwashing or some other task i may not wish to be doing. i will wait at least a semester before deciding on culinary school. thanks again everyone.
RAS1187, for some reason, i dont know... but what you said has made the most sense to me. thankyou. couple questions though, do you think your cooking degree helped you get a job, or will basic skills and some eagerness and determination be enough? also, what were your skills like before and after you went to school? thanks.
i think if you kept the 1:1 ratio, but used it while it was still hot, or if it isnt warm enough, warm it us using a double boiler. i think that should work ok, pour is over the top and it should drain down off the sides, like on a draining wrack. good luck
well, on the tv show, ace of cakes on food network (great show... hilarious) they use a ton of stuff that i doubt is coined "food safe"... how about liability waivers???:)
first of all, i am sorry if my last post was somewhat offensive. it was not my intention to insult chefs. i do not doubt the majority of chefs are very hard working, or very skilled. to me, it seems that some chefs are doing the job they do merely because it pays the bills, not because of food, and i dont know if i am right, but i think to be great, it needs to be about the food, not the money. and is getting a job in the kitchen really as simple as picking up a whisk...
rsteve, i did in fact read your post and it was rather helpful... very truthful. when i asked if an associates degree was enough, i meant in reputation... but your point on education has been fairly clear. as for who is working in professional kitchens? i hope i am not alone in thinking that it is nto right for most of those people to be working in a professional kitchen... it seems to me that they just pulled these people from out back hovering around the garbage,...
ok, you guys have got me a bit worried now... i have been currently tossing the idea around of becoming a professional chef and opening a restaurant (or go somewhere in the wide world of food, i will figure that out at some point) now my current plans were to go get a bachelors in something... and an associates degree in either baking and pastry, or culinary... maybe even both! now before i get too much in the way of interrogations from everybody, i DO have a love for...
well, my lazyness, and stubbornness got the best of me... i did not have dried blueberries, and since blueberry bagels are my mom's favorite, i decided to do them anyways... i was too lazy to go to the store and buy dried blueberries, so i used frozen.... big mistake.... it was super tough to get those little boogers in and even tougher to form them! but they still taste pretty good, which is what really matters in the end i guess, right?
this recipe makes 8 bagels, and take overnight to proof 1/4 oz yeast (1 pkg) 1 teaspoon sugar 1 tablespoon barley malt syrup or honey 4 cups white bread flour 2 teaspoons salt cornmeal for dusting pans place sugar, yeast, and 1.5 cups warm water in a bowl and stir until dissolved. let stand about 10 minutes, it should be frothy and bubbly; if not the yeast is probably dead. now stir in your honey or malt syrup add 2 cups of your bread flour and stir. add your salt now....
I recently learned how to make homemade bagels, which is a ton of fun, I decided that plain... was too plain, so I have done poppy seed, sesame seed and chedder cheese. my mom really likes blueberry bagels though, my question is how do i put blueberries in without destroying them? do i use frozen, fresh, dried? and how should i put them in? thanks alot everyone.