or Connect

Posts by Dinengurth

I've used a similar recipe like before and it is tasty. I tried it b/c it was kinda like souvlakia, but i wanted to do bigger pieces of meat, not skewers.
Old bay is ok, but I prefer louisiana brand or zatarins crawfish boil b/c it has more heat.
I like cooking different international cuisines but it's really hard to beat rice and gravy. My favorite is probably pork butt steaks in a beautiful brown gravy with either sweet peas, macque choux, or green beans w/ tasso and potatoes. I almost forgot I love stewed sweet and spicy tomatoes w/ tasso.
"blackened" is more a technique, not so much a spice blend. fish is usually soaked in melted butter or fat and then put in an insanely hot cast iron skillet, creating the blackened effect. this is usually done outside b/c when I say insanely hot, I mean way past smokin hot and can smoke out a kitchen.
The trinity is usually the same proportions as the mirepoix, 2 pt onion 1 pt bell pepper 1 pt celery. However, the proportions are only important in a commercial setting. At home I usually use 1 large onion, 1 bell pepper, and about 2-3 stalks of celery, leaves included. Also use one bulb of garlic. Those vegetables go in just about every dish down here across the board.
The only FN personalities I watch with intent for learning are Bobby Flay, Giada De Laurentiis, Mario Batali, and Tyler Florence. I love Martin Yan and Ming Tsai also. I grew up watching cooking shows like Frugal Gourmet w/ Jeff Smith, Graham Kerr, Justin Wilson, John Folse, Julia Child, Paul Prudhomme. Rachel Ray can be a lil too animated at times just as Emeril can be.
Just like sucking the head on a crawfish MMMM MMMM tis the season too :D
Not all boudin has pig blood in it. As far as brain and veal liver, we do eat calf liver, brain i've never had. What we eat isn't gross at all, it's really good, just some people, including my instructors, don't always see themselves tasting pig tails, stuffed ponce/chaudin, calf heart/kidney/liver/tripe, hocks, neckbone, turkey/chicken necks, chitterlings, gizzards, chicken feet and other stuff like that.
Use nitrile gloves. We use them at work, and they are infinitely better than latex. They have very good tensile strength. The only thing latex gloves are good for is rolling boudin balls :) , absolutely worthless when it comes to handling and cutting meat. The only time we use gloves at school is for ready-to-eat foods, but people are constantly reminded about sanitation procedures to instill proper discipline.
Like others, I love knife work. I'm always trying to be faster and more accurate with my cuts. Being in meat processing industry helps me w/ that also. I also like cleaning up while I work. There's nothing that bothers me more than a messy kitchen. I also really like doing meat fabrication. I was fortunate enough to have a 3rd generation master butcher from england as an instructor, and he's taught me so much about meat that butchering has become a second love...