or Connect

Posts by shel

Zingerman's is an interesting operation. Getting their goods mail-order is very expensive, and just about everything they sell is available here for less. Still, they do have some unique items, and I like the place - been years since I've been there though. They've expanded quite a bit since my last visit.
Most everything has happened at some time, or will happen. Like you, I've never heard of anyone getting sick - anyone - from eating stuffing cooked in a bird. In the FWIW Department, there's a well-known Mennonite recipe, Bobart, I believe, which is a raisin quick bread that is baked inside the chicken while it is being roasted. Been used for generations ... if anyone cares to find out more about it, there's a site called Mennonite Girls Can Cook which has a recipe and...
As soon as you mentioned the title of the book I knew I had to read it, even before reading your description. I love books and other writings that are like this one seems to be. If you like this sort of thing, allow me to recommend Petroski's The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance. There was that PBS TV series called Connections. Are you familiar with it. Great series! The Trigger Effect (Connections - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Yesterday, along with the Buche Cremier, I picked up a small wedge of a Wisconsin Gruyere after comparing it to a European "cave aged" cheese. This cheese, Roth Kase Specialty Grand Cru Gruyere, is outstanding, offering a great texture (excellent for melting as well as nibbling), a nice depth of complex flavors, and a lovely color. This prize winner is highly recommended, and shows clearly that American made cheeses can certainly go up against the best Europe has to offer.
What percentage salt/pepper do you use. I think I was using 2:1 salt:pepper, but that was a while ago and I've since forgotten the proportions.
I'm naturally abrasive enough Thanks - I sort of figured that it could last indefinitely. Maybe it's time to find a better container than the box. Something with a little style and panache.
The box of Diamond Crystal salt in my kitchen is at least two years old, maybe even three or more. Will salt last indefinitely before losing any of its qualities? Might it absorb moisture, for example, and be loss "potent?" Is there a preferred way to store it? Mine's just in the box it came in, set near the stove. Do different types of salt require different handling and storage techniques?
This is very good to know. Although I used Niman products, I was moving away from them becausse the quality seemed to be suffering. It's very exciting to know that some more of the heirloom pigs may be coming to California. BTW, Elk Grove was the very first California town I stopped in when I came west - July 5, 1966. One of the women I was travelling with grew up there, and we stopped at her parent's ranch. It's where I saw my first cow close up.
Yes, that's similar to what I do. Rolling the balls around seems to aid even browning, and maybe it also helps to keep the balls together. Never thought of that benefit. I don't have a problem using chopped veges, but they are really minced pretty fine and sautéd, so maybe the size and the sauté help hold things together. Plus I don't use very much vegetables - more for flavor than anything else. Teamfat didn't mention using eggs, bread crumbs, or bread. Maybe...
I ran into a similar problem with meat loaf - the loaf was a little too dry even though I used the same aromatics as you mentioned. It was suggested here to try sautéing the vegetables in a little fat (I've since used oil or butter, or a combination) and softening them up while adding a little moisture. It worked out well, and that's often what I do when making meat loaf or meat balls. What kind of meat are you using? Spaghetti and meatballs may well be one of my...