or Connect

Posts by -d-

That's really great news! I recommend McGee's books to everyone! Very impressive, Jim. Thank you.
I make Kao Niow Ma-muang (Sticky rice and Mangoes). Here's a great recipe: Kao Niow Ma-muang A Recipe of Kasma Loha-unchit Recipe Copyright © 1995 Kasma Loha-unchit. http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/stickrice.html Ingredients 2 cups long-grain white sticky rice, sweet rice or glutinous rice 2 cups creamy coconut milk (or one 14-oz. can) 1/2 cup granulated sugar About 1 tsp. salt Optional flavoring: 2-3 fresh or frozen pandanus leaves (bai...
For a limited time, you can get this game at GoGamers.com for $19.90. http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGam...t/View/001RESE
StarChefs has a feature on limoncello as well: http://starchefs.com/features/limonc...ml/index.shtml
Find the best all-purpose peeler Personally, I like the Y or Harp shaped peelers the best. I find that the pulling motion is quicker for me. And when you have several crates of potatoes or carrots in front of you, speed is a necessity. [edit] just retried the link and you have to be a member of the site to access the information. However, here's a little snippet from Cook's Illustrated's tests:
I think that you say it here, buy the oriental version of the knife. If it feels great in your hand, you're more likely to use it. As for sharpening (or honing actually), there's a special angled ceramic water sharpener that Global offers.
Actually, my undergrad housing situation was exactly like this, but with no option at all to out who you will be rooming with. It's been a while so I don't remember the unversity's reason for the policy, but I imagine that it's about the potential logistical nightmare that can ensue if the future roomies do not get along together before school starts. By not having the roommates meet till school begins, the school administration avoids having to deal with phone calls,...
I have a pair of Birkenstock clogs that I really like. Initially, I had concerns that wearing clogs would be a little awkward (not being tightly laced or form fitting), but I'm just as agile as ever. And at the end of the day, while the waitstaff (in regular shoes) are complaining about their feet, I'm nice and comfy. The big plus is being able to clean my shoes with some hot water and soap. I'll never go back to shoes with laces.
I concur with SlaveGirl, if possible offer to stage (work for free). This will get your foot in the door. Once the chef sees how dedicated and hardworking you are, it can transition into a full time position. Good luck! And let us know how you do.
"The Professional Chef, 7th ed." is indeed a great book, and well worth $45. The detailed descriptions and pictures are excellent. Like many others in this group, I have a large library of cookbooks, and this is definitely a standout among my collection. My only regret is that I didn't buy this book sooner. I also second ShawtyCat's recommendation of Harold McGee's book. While celluar pictures via microscopes might not be for everyone, the science is indeed...