or Connect

Posts by web monkey

I'm always partial to scrambled eggs with a little pepper jack cheese, maybe a couple of pieces of nice bacon, a perfectly toasted English Muffin and freshly brewed, freshly ground coffee with a little 1/2 and 1/2.Gotta go. Now I'm hungry. There are all sorts of things you can make, but not in 25 minutes, and not that won't put him in a sugar-induced stupor all morning. Pancakes and sausage with real maple syrup are really nice, but if he's going to work, he'd never make...
Heating elements fail when they're the Wrong voltage element; Some elements are available for lower and higher voltage ratings ranging from 220V-250V. If the replacement is a 220V element and he happens to have 240V or higher, it's life will be dramatically shortened.Wrong part; Installing a fits-all" element and/or bending it to fit shortens it's life and can weaken it, depending on where and how much it's bent.Used improperly; If he's using it as a space heater, it won't...
Disclaimer: I have no experience with Wolf, but do have a ton of experience with cooking appliances.The oven (the part that actually gets hot) is simple. The "10 cooking modes" listed on the web site are simply the same modes that have come standard on every oven made in the last 20 years, plus a small fan for "convection" and a couple of "low" settings that you won't use like "proof".The cook-top portion is average for a domestic cooking appliance and contains the usual...
Cool! I'd recommend actually using the bottled water at least the first time you try it. The water doesn't need to be fancy, just not overly mineralized, and no chemicals. The bottled water made a huge difference in repeatability. The city would sometimes dump a bunch of chlorine in the water because they found ducks living in the in reservoir, or add a bunch of acid when cleaning out pipes, and it was making me crazy not knowing if the next day I'd have beautiful dough or...
Here you go! The bookshelf is nice because it uses otherwise wasted space and you can make it as long as you want (wrap it around the whole room if you like).The shelf is 1"x12" oak. (it's actually something like 1 1/4" at the store but due to "marketing magic" it's really just about an inch thick.There's a strip of 3/4" x 1 1/2" oak along the wall supporting the back edge of the shelf, attached to the wall studs with  #14 x3" brass screws and finishing washers.The chains...
Here you go. It's long-winded, but it works. Terry From: http://www.bupkis.org/index.php/pizza-index/pizza-doughPizza Dough This is a slow rising dough, but is more than worth the time required. Ingredients: 715 ml (25 oz) Bottled Water 5g (1 t) Sugar 5g (1 t) Instant Yeast 1 Kg (2.2 Lbs) Unbleached, unenriched bread flour. I use...
I'd definitely go electric on the oven. Burning gas produces moisture, which makes it more difficult to get a really nice crisp pizza. OTOH, if that isn't a factor, get whatever you like. 8-)The ice-maker produces ice, which drops by gravity into a bucket. However the ice augur that sends it out through the door takes the oldest ice, which is on the bottom of the bucket and has been happily soaking up smells and tastes from everything that's been in the fridge during the...
If this is truly the case, I'd suggest talking to your colleges food-service department and trade a couple of hours/day for a meal plan card, and let them feed you.You're not actually allowed to be broke, starving, unwilling to work and overly-fussy all at the same time.Terry
First, buy stuff that actually does what it's supposed to, and doesn't just look cool.A big self-cleaning electric double oven is nice, however make sure it's actually big enough to hold whatever you plan on putting in it and is "self-cleaning", not "continuous cleaning or anything else. A big cooktop is also nice (I like gas). Make sure it has enough real-estate to actually hold all your big pots and pans at once. Just because it has 4 burners doesn't necessarily mean you...
Shop for in-season food at the Farmer's Market. Nothing cuts costs and improves quality like buying off the back of a truck, from the guy who picked it.Oddly enough, if you're willing to learn to do a little cooking, you can make the best food in the world for the same or less than the cost of junk food a paper bag from the drive-through.When you're looking for ideas, think about cultures that typically don't spend a lot on food. Traditional Mexican cooking, for example,...