or Connect

Posts by web monkey

Mine was cheeseburgers at Favalo Brother's Meat Market on North Salina St. in Syracuse, NY.Although I didn't appreciate it at the time, they made the most amazing, hot juicy cheeseburgers in the world. They ground their own beef, fresh, right in the store,  cooked it on an old cast flat-top and immediately served it all hot and juicy on plain white bread with a slice of white cheddar. The bread would soak up all the grease, and it was heaven in a little wax paper bag.The...
This one is from my grandmother's old cookbook (Jewish Cookery, Leah Leonard, 1949)Sorry, copy-and-paste seems to have eaten the table formatting. The formatted version is here: http://www.bupkis.org/index.php/dessert/hamentashenDough 2/3 C Shortening 1/2 C Sugar 1   Egg 3 T Milk or Water 1/2 t Vanilla 2 C Sifted Flour Cream shortening and sugar.Add egg and continue creaming until smoothAdd liquid and vanilla and sifted flour and stir until it forms a ...
OK. Those are all three layers all the way from the base to the lip and a nice big stock pot can easily set you back $400 .The pots with the "hockey puck" on the bottom will work just fine for cooking anything that's mostly water and can be had for 10% of the price of the fully clad pots, although as the food get thicker, it will tend to burn at the edge where the hockey puck stops and the thin sheet metal starts.Terry
A thin sheet metal pot (I 'm assuming that's what you're talking about when you say "single gauge") tends to warp on the bottom and not sit flat on the heating element if you have an electric stove. This means that things take longer to cook and it will have hot spots where food tends to burn. This isn't much of an issue if you're mostly doing thin liquids like broth, however if you plan on doing anything that involves sauteing  or sweating veggies, a really thin pot might...
I was thinking about a trailer also. I don't have a huge range of food that I can do a really great job on, reliably, but Pizza is one of them and I was thinking about getting a trailer-able brick oven and doing private parties, however our local health department makes it so freaking expensive and difficult that it turned out to not be worth the bother. Even a trailer would need hot and cold running water and refrigeration, and I'd need to rent a commercial kitchen just...
How big is the bowl? If you have a small ball of dough in a huge bowl, you might be trying to "humidify" too much air. The container only needs a little over 2x the volume of your dough (maybe 3x if you don't check it soon enough 8-) )Also, as the others said, it's likely the cover isn't sealed tight. When I make Pizza dough or Ciabatta (also about 70% water), I let it proof in a polycarbonate container with a good snap on lid and have never had any problems with it drying...
I'm not sure who the audience is for most of the "game show" type programing. In fact, given the state of the economy and the amount of packaged and processed food people are eating, FoodTV could do a lot worse than getting back to actually teaching people how to cook. And I'm not talking about showing someone toss a half dozen containers of magically pre-cut, pre-measured, pre-cleaned ingredients into a preheated pan, but actually showing how to select and purchase the...
OK, I just can't resist. This wasn't just the server, it was the chef too.I like Mexican food, but don't have it very often because there are only a couple of Mexican restaurants in the area and the one I like is always packed right out to the sidewalk.So . . .  I was talking to a friend and he said "You should try "X". (name withheld to protect the guilty, and because I think they're crazy enough to come after me). The food is awesome!"First, it takes a private detective...
It's been about a year and a half. What did your son finanlly decide to do and how is it working out?Terry
It didn't sound very tasty. Terry