or Connect

Posts by web monkey

Vegans won't eat or use anything that was an animal (meat, lard, leather, fur, etc.) or came from an animal (milk, eggs, butter, honey, etc.) Terry
That's the kicker. I think the OP needs to find out how "veggie" the customers really are. A lot of them won't touch anything that ever thought about being near an animal (milk/butter/eggs/cheese/etc.) I dated one for about 15 minutes. Went out to lunch, I ordered a burger, she ordered a salad. She stares at me. Finally, I said "What!?" She said "You shouldn't eat meat." I said "If God didn't want me to eat meat, cows wouldn't taste so good." It was a short...
Time has nothing to do with volume. All a slow rise will cost is a little planning and some space. The dough still doesn't care. Terry
The dough cares not about your schedule or needs. 8-) It will be ready when it's ready. People need patience. Terry
Assuming you live in the land of warmth and sunshine, you should have no problems. Although you can build your own for around $100-$200 if you have lots of spare time, you might want to just buy one, since it will save you a ton of time finding and cutting pipe, getting the right pump, throwing out the stuff that you bought and ruined or was just wrong. These guys have a really nice selection and have been around for a long time: Hydroponics | Hydroponic Supplies I...
First, your mom means well, and wants to make sure you have a decent life. That said, you'll have a better life if you like your job. Cooking might be it, or it might not, and I'll echo what others have said. Get a job in a good restaurant kitchen. Even if it's cleaning pots and pans, storing the food and running errands, it doesn't matter, as long as you get to see what's really going on. Several of my friends have been cooks and chefs, and by the time they're in...
The only way that would be useful is if the "proof" button turned on an air conditioner to keep the dough from overheating in the summer. A nice slow rise can easily take 8 - 12 hours. Also, I don't think I'd want to give up my oven for all that time while the dough was proofing. I use some of these, left in a nice cool dark place: Terry
Tough call. I suppose my favorite Chicken Pastina Soup with Escarole wouldn't qualify. What if you told them the chickens were all vegetarians, or that they taste good with vegetables?:) How about Potato-Leek soup? Not sure if the leeks would be too overwhelming with for the ravioli, though. I'd definitely have something dry and crunchy in there somewhere to balance the soup and pasta. Maybe served with some Bruschetta? Also, you'll need to see how "squeeky clean" they...
Actually, I was thinking like both. Although my suggestions are not original, they're all done poorly so frequently that pulling them off perfectly would certainly be a worthy task and could be done within the given parameters. Additionally, it would show off the student's skills, not just how technically impressive a dish can be made. Anybody can hack off a piece of fish and serve it over bad gummy rice. The trick is to cut a perfect slice of perfect fish and serve it...
Wow, what a question. That's pretty limitless! Does it have to be cooked? Are you graded on originality or taste and presentation? None of these are original, however they'll range from awful to sublime depending on the quality of the fish and how well you prepare them. Tuna tataki salad garnished with nice long katsubushi shavings (if you can find a whole block of katsubushi and have a plane) with yuzu dressing, spicy tuna roll, hamachi nigiri, barbecued eel, maybe...