or Connect

Posts by web monkey

Some people like to complain, either because it makes them feel like a bigger person, or because they want a discount or free food. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it, and it most likely had nothing to do with the steak. Terry
Does that happen a lot? I'm just a customer, but when I'm eating out, "Running out" of pasta is simply unacceptable, even if it means that you have to give the kid who sweeps the floor $20 and send him to the grocery store or somebody has to stop what they're doing, crack a dozen eggs and make some fresh dough. Running out of a sashimi-grade Ahi says "It's expensive and perishable." Running out of dried pasta says "The chef is a moron, or his supplier cut him off or the...
It's a mixture of sodium chloride and potasssium chloride and is nothing you would use by choice. It was popular a few decades ago when doctors tried to manage hypertension by reducing the patient's sodium intake. Since the advent of drugs that actually work, and the realization that almost nobody was following the Dr.'s instructions, it became much less popular. Terry
Aside from the stuff everybody mentioned, Diamond and Morton Kosher Salt have different densities. It takes about around 25% - 30% more Diamond to make something as salty as Morton. The reverse is also true. If a recipe was created using Diamond, and you use Morton, it will be too salty if you use the same amount by volume. They're pretty much identical by weight, though. Terry
I'm also a little worried about turning fun into work. For now, I think I'll build the wood-fired oven, put it in the backyard and throw neighborhood parties when I feel like it. I appreciate everybody's input, but will probably not pursue this as a commercial venture until I retire. At that point, my wife and I could spend time working various festivals and traveling around the country following the nice weather. Terry
Actually, they were several different thoughts. The OP was ordering a set of stones, and just got some new Japanese knives, which led me to believe that he hadn't yet tried sharpening with the stones freehand, which is quite difficult to do properly with a narrow angle on a long blade. In that case, sharpening with the Apex is actually quite a bit easier and gives a much more consistent edge than free-handing with stones. The sushi chefs tend to do it freehand because...
Knifemerchant.com is great for knives and some cookware. There's an old guy who owns it (same guy always answers the phone, so I assume he owns it) and sounds like he's been cooking since the invention of fire. Sam's Club has a great deal on some nice 8" teflon pans, packages of towels (bar mops) and cutting boards over in the commercial cooking section. Looking for anything special? Terry
Most of the sushi chefs I know keep their waterstones in a tub of water all the time, and pull out the finest one for a few strokes every now and then, and don't steel (or ceramic?) their knives. Also, if these are single-side edges like the Global Sashimi Yangi, you'll have a lot better luck with a sharpener like the Apex Edgepro than you will free-handing it on a series of waterstones. It takes a ton of practice to be able to maintain a 10 or 12 degree angle across a...
Not good enough. At least around here, the Health Dept. said the church kitchens don't have to meet the same standards and wouldn't be acceptable. I can rent a place, but it would be cost-prohibitive. . I guess that's where we're different. I have no desire to suffer. I'm 50+, and have a good job and a family and wanted to do this on the weekends over the summer and fall for private parties and special events, just because I really like making it and people really like...
Basil Pesto Garlic Pizza. and The Sashimi Salad @ Morimotos in Philadelphia (Sashimi, Tuna Tataki, Katsobushi Shavings & Shoyu Dressing) And if he wasn't full or dead, I'd get him a Gyro @ the NY State Fair on the midway. Can't think of the name, but it's the best I've ever had, anywhere. Perfect meat (a little crispy on the edges, nice and soft on the inside), nice sharp onions, sweet summer tomatoes, great dressing and the pita is warmed up over the grill they do meat...