or Connect

Posts by KYHeirloomer

of this genre is " On The Road Again " with Chef Mario Batali and Gwyenth Paltrow.   Am I the only one who thinks taking a vegetarian on a culinary tour of Spain is a little strange?
What is gluten-free baking powder?   Baking powder is a combination of sodium bicrbonate and sodium aluminum sulfate, with, sometimes, cornstarch added as a non-caking agent. Where would gluten come from in the first place?   I suspect what you're buying is a manufacturer's way of capitalizing on the gluten-free mania.    
Sure, the fillings tend to be soft. But that hardly matters when, as he did, you are wrapping it in two rather firm proteins (chicken and bacon).   I'm not arguing against the idea of poaching first. I just don't buy into Chris' implication that it has to be done that way.   BTW, when I do pre-poach, I use cling film rather than foil, cuz I don't like the idea of the foil coming in direct contact with the food. No particular justification for that; just a gut...
When I was young we did all our grilling on a simple round metal grill on tubular legs, with no cover. Things have come a long way since those days.   In fact, on another thread, BDL and I were talking about Bobby Flay, and the number of "barbecus" he uses on his BBQ Addiction show. Near as I can tell, he has at least 11:   1. A gas operated cooktop. 2. A monster gas grill 3. Two (at least) webbers. 4. A Char-Broiler type rectangular charcoal grill 5. A...
Whoops! Add one to Flay's collection. I forgot the hibachi.  
If you don't poach and cool it, the whole roll won't keep it's shape in the frying pan   Chris, isn't that what they make kitchen string for?   The only time I poach first is if the foodstuff is too soft. For instance, when making fish sausages. But for ballotine type dishes the proteins usually are dense enough for tying.   True, wrapping and poaching makes a prettier dish. But it's not a necessary step.
I didn't watch the show, because the premise description didn't appeal. But one thing to consider: In many jurisdictions, stores are not allowed, but either law or company policy, to distribute non-sellable foods. They can't even give it to you for composting, let alone eating.   The other aspect is that dumpster diving is technically illegal. You are both trespassing and stealing. Would your local supermarket prosecute? Who knows.  
Greenpan really showed how it's suppose to be done, eh?   Have they? I see an inordinate amount of dollars being spent. But I don't know anybody who owns one.   The way its done is to spend a minimum of bucks for a maximum of impact. And I don't think they're accomplishing that.   For instance, how many product placement pieces have they provided, in lieu of expensive ads? Obviously I dunno. But a product review here at Cheftalk could, potentially, influence...
I've never even heard of, let alone seen, fried pickle spears EastShores. Is that something common down by you?
Joey, a self-basting lid has a pattern of nipples cast into the underside. As moisture condenses on the lid these nipples gather it, and it drips off them back into the pot. If you enlarge the photo of the lid at that site you can see them pretty clearly.   I never cared for them on raw cast iron, because they tend to draw the cure out of the lid, and are difficult to dry and reoil. But on enamaled cast iron that's not a concern.