or Connect

Posts by bizkit

The one thing I always tell people when you make lemon curd the correct way, its time to get messy! If you not making a mess chances are that you aren't getting enough air incorperated. So get a towel and some cleaning water because there will be some clean-up! :cool:
This seems to be very trendy these days. I look on menus and I have noticed alot of chefs are putting "Pommes Robuchon" on menus. I know that one of his claims to culinary fame is that he has many different ways to do potatos, But what is it? Is it something only certian people can use? Dont get me wrong, I would work for the man for nothing, washing dishes, scrubing floors, doing what ever I could to be a part of the atmospher. I just really have to know, what are "Pommes...
:p Now I know that I wont get killed for this I work about 35-40 hrs a week. I know this sounds weird but its true I have a 12 month old baby boy and my boss has two young boys, we work out our schedules so we can spend time with our families. I see that all these people work 65-80 hour weeks, I've done it, I under stand. :smoking: So if you ever get an opportunity to not kill your self and the higher ups care for their employees, take advantage because it wont last. ...
In OKC there is a Chef, Kurt Fleischfresser of The Coach House. He sets the standard here in Oklahoma City. He is a mentor to the many chefs that come out of his two and a half year apprenticeship, the kitchen is staffed by apprentice only. And is the only restaurant in OKC where guest chefs can make an apperence.The Chefs that have come through include Jacques Pepin(2 times), Stephen Piles(3 times), Rolland Passot(2 times), Rick Bayless, Jean-Louise Palladin, Hubert...
It seems to me most culinary students aren't given the best knife sets. Unless they are wusthof, heinkles, globals, or kershaw. Break them suckers in, learn how to use them. Then later on you'll probably be on-line looking at all kinds of cutlery and when you get your dream set you'll know how to use 'em and they wont get jacked up. And I always tell newbies to take plenty of notes because chefs always like to have their questions answered even if you have to look it...
Plain and simple....VEAL STOCK!!! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
There are a lot of helpful answers and insight to my monthly question of why. Food cost is food cost, it's what you pay. If there is no theft, spoilage, waste ect. and your menu is priced correctly you should be OK. Running the inventory down without 86ing menu items does show the chefs that you are going through everything, no old items (except that very expensive spinach powder that isn't going anywhere). As far as I know there is no bonus for good food cost. Often I...
:cool: HOW ABOUT THE GUY OR GIRL THAT NEVER DOES THEIR OWN PREP BECAUSE THEY ARE TO SLOW AND (OR) CANT EVEN DO IT HIM SELF. BECAUSE THEY HAVE'NT LEARNED HOW, AND YOU'VE ALREADY TRIED TO TEACH THEM BUT THEY CAN'T, THEY DO'NT KNOW, THEIR TO SLOW AND BESIDES YOU DO IT BETTER AND FASTER. SO GET IT DONE AND KEEP HAVING THEM WATCH OVER YOUR SHOLDER AND ONE DAY MABE YOU'LL GET A SUPRISE.
:confused: I'M THE SOUS CHEF AT MY RESTAURANT AND EVERY FOUR WEEKS I DO INVENTORY, THE CHEF TRIES TO RUN LOW ON EVERYTHING, HE STARTS ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF BEFORE I INVENTORY. IT SEEMS LIKE WE 86 ALOT OF ITEMS DURING THIS TIME. IS THIS NORMAL? I'VE WORKED FOR ALOT OF WHAT I CONSIDER GOOD CHEFS AND THEY NEVER DID THIS. NOW I'M NOT SAYING ORDER ENOUGH TENDERLOIN, OSSO BUCCO, OR TRUFFLES FOR THE WHOLE NEXT PERIOD, OR JUST OVER STOCK BECAUSE YOU SEE A GOOD PRICE. BUT GET...
I've been browsing for a couple of days. I think this is a very neat and helpful place for chef and cooks to communicate. You cant just ask anyone the questions that are popping up here. Ive been cooking for about 14 years, I love sweet and savory. So pastries are a big part of my culinary repertuar, but I also enjoy all aspects of a kitchen. I look foward to spending some time here.