or Connect

Posts by monpetitchoux

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your apples didn't set up.  Do you mean your filling had no cohesion?  Also, without the amounts of ingredients you used, I can only guess that the splash of molasses you used is not enough sugar to draw juices out of the apples which the starch would then thicken as it bakes.  Sugar serves many more purposes than as a sweetener.  You also mentioned that you cooked the filling with starch before you put it into the crust. ...
I've done a roasted peanut infused custard with a light chocolate cream that glazed the top so that I wouldn't have to brulee it. Then I garnished it with caramelized popcorn so that it would have a crunchy component. I made it for a Father's Day menu that was inspired by ballpark treats. I called this one "Peanuts and Cracker Jack." The customers loved it. I loved the caramelized popcorn. You can make a peanut parfait. Parfait in the French style, not the layered...
Paillete Feuilletine. Crunchy crepe flakes. There's a myriad of good stuff to make with this along the lines of confections. Look in Pierre Herme and Dorie Greenspan chocolate desserts book. They suggest substituting rice krispies or corn flakes if you can't get the feuilletine. I also recall something in Payard's book. I think he was the one suggesting cornflakes in place of the feuilletine. When we have a little leftover chocolate still in temper, we throw in a...
What about the cooks illustrated books? Very clear instructions. And if your niece is really interested in learning how to cook, she might find the text interesting, too. Those with a genuine interest in learning to cook will want to read the accompanying text. And these books comprise of recipes for the amalgam of dishes that make American cuisine.
Thanks, Headless, for taking the time to search. I've seen that book already. I've been having trouble finding professional books. almost all of the books out there were written for the home cook audience. So they are mostly recipe books. Not really cookbooks. I'm really looking for something with a lot more text and science but not necessarily at the molecular level. I tried reading one of those before but it focused mostly on commercial manufacturing of ice...
Does anyone know of a good book written for professionals about frozen desserts? In particular, I'm looking for information on gelato. Also looking for formulae and a good discussion on the science underlying the making of ice cream and gelato as well as sorbets and sherbets, basically the churned while freezing desserts. I'd like to know what the lowest percentage of sugar is by weight of dairy should be for stadard gelatti. Also the same for ice creams and sorbets....
I asked this exact question reagarding 45% a couple of years ago when I was first introduced to this site. I believe that you will find it if you do a site search for it. I think CChiu started the thread. I'm sorry that I don't know how to do the seach and include it as a link in this message.
Sign me up for that card today! Happens to me all the time. Especially when I shop in Chinatown. Once, when apricots were coming into the market, I noticed that the smaller ones were blushing vibrantly, had better aroma and felt just right. The ladies around me were going after the big fruit that were pale and felt rubbery to the touch. They looked at me with pity cause I swear I could hear them thinking what a fool I was for paying for what would end up in the...
the microwave- it's the only heating element I have at my (pastry) plating station other than the pizza oven (thank God for this, too). The line cooks thank God for this, too. the ice machine- even though it's choking its last choke. It was the only thing working when the power line got cut and we had to ice everything down. the scale, metric system and calculator - without which repeatable pastry perfection just isn't possible. Working atop a fancy schmancy...
And flour, too, for double insurance. Even though I have a gift certificate to Williams Sonoma and Sur La Table, I can't bring myself to spring the money it costs to buy that thing.