or Connect

Posts by tammylc

While 31-32 C is a pretty consistent range for temper with all dark chocolates, I've seen some variability in the tempering curve in terms of how where the top of the curve is. I use Michel Cluizel, and the top of the tempering curve is 116 for that. But I've seen other chocolates that call for 120. If you're starting with untempered chocolate you might not be taking it up high enough to melt out all the bad crystals, so definitely look up the tempering curve and use a...
Not good for a truffle per se, but if you're doing any molded pieces, I just did a double layer piece with a layer of cherry preserves and a layer of thai basil infused ganache. It's an awesome combination, if I do say so myself... But not particularly complex. I've done a double layer dipped piece with a layer of strawberry pate de fruit and a layer of dark chocolate balsamic vinegar ganache. Andrew Garrison Schotts has a recipe for his version in his book, i used that...
I started my business in pretty much just this way - I decided to make and sell some truffles to coworkers, friends and neighbors for Mother's Day, and got orders for 300 pieces. I did a few more casual sales like that before I decided to get serious and worked out a deal for a commercial kitchen and got my license, etc. So if you're willing to take the risk that what you're doing is technically illegal (but nothing that anyone is going to pay much attention to if you're...
Are all the items priced the same? There are price points that are more or less appealing - even if something is cheaper by volume, the absolute price is more important.
The only thing you have to cautious about with shipping any chocolate is the weather. If temperatures are above 80 degrees, your recipients can end up with chocolate soup, or you can have problems with bloom. But this time of year that's not a problem in most of the US.
i like to grate ginger very finely using a microplane grater, then squeeze the juice out of it and use it to flavor the ganache for my ginger truffles. it makes for a very potent ginger flavor, much more so than just infusing the cream with chopped ginger. But since you mentioned not having much time, then you probably don't want to try this - it's not exactly quick...
You can buy Scharffenberger chocolate in most grocery store aisles. It's not my favorite chocolate, but it is actual couverture and will have a nice consistency for dipping. But, as other have said, real chocolate requires tempering, so you have to decide if you want to deal with that. If you chop the chocolate then heat it carefully in the microwave, you can raise it to working temperature (90 degrees F) without it losing temper. Start with a minute, then use shorter...
Rather than adding butter, i would suggest warming it (microwave is great for this) and adding some melted (preferably tempered) chocolate . Seems likely that your eyeballing was just off and if you up the chocolate ratio it will firm up.
Rather than trying to make a round "truffle" you could just make a sheet of caramel, cut it into rectangles, and dip those. The Fleur de Sel caramel from Epicurious is great done this way. It's even better if you double the salt in the recipe.
This Fleur de Sel caramel recipe on Epicurious is great: Fleur De Sel Caramels Recipe at Epicurious.com Read the comments too - some people like more salt (i do!) and you may need to adjust your cooking time accordingly.