or Connect

Posts by BettyR

I have been gathering up my holiday recipes and one that I noticed was getting talked about a lot but I haven't seen anyone sharing a recipe. I thought I'd start a thread doing just that. Let's share our favorite cheesecake recipes...I'm always looking for something new to take to our family get-togethers.   Best Ever Sour Cream Cheesecake   3 cups graham cracker crumbs 1/4-cup sugar 1/2 cup butter-melted Note-I used 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs and...
I think I would start out with something easy like Alton Brown's "Knead Not" bread.It is important to learn how a good bread dough is supposed to feel and this is the cheapest way to learn that.   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/knead-not-sourdough-recipe/index.html     I like using a bread machine to knead my dough... I have been making bread for my family all my married life. I use a bread machine to make my dough because I'm lazy and I like being able to...
LOL I have actually had this recipe for a long time...it is the frosting that we always used to put on our Red Velvet Cake when I was growing up in the South. I grew up in a very rural area and the little grocery store nearest our home just carried the basic pantry items.
This is close....   5 tablespoons flour 1-1/4 cups milk 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup butter 1 cup shortening   Combine flour and milk in a saucepan. Cook stirring constantly until thick. Cool completely. Cream sugar and fats until very light and fluffy, add cooled milk mixture and beat until fluffy. Store in an air container until ready to use. Will stay fresh at room temperature for several days, to keep longer store in refrigerator.
Your welcome, hope you enjoy....     Yes, the ounces are by weight....   The reason for the butter/shortening mix is....the butter is for flavor but it has a lot of water in it and if you use all butter the cookies spread out too much during baking. You need a more solid fat than just butter to help them hold their shape but stay moist and chewy. You can sub lard (rendered pork fat) if you have that.  
I have been tweaking this recipe for some time and my husband says that now it's perfect. So I thought I'd share my perfect cookie recipe LOL...   Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies   4- ounce stick of salted butter 7- ounces shortening 1- pound brown sugar 4- ounces white sugar 1/4- cup heavy cream 2 tablespoons vanilla 1 whole large egg 2 large egg yolks 1 pound + 4 ounces bread flour 2 teaspoons salt 4 teaspoons baking powder 12 ounces...
I have been tweaking this recipe for some time and DH says it's perfect now. So I thought I'd share my "perfect" cookie recipe. LOL Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies 4- ounce stick of salted butter 7- ounces shortening 1- pound brown sugar 4- ounces white sugar 1/4- cup heavy cream 2 tablespoons vanilla 1 whole large egg 2 large egg yolks 1 pound + 4 ounces bread flour 2 teaspoons salt 4 teaspoons baking powder 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips 8...
  I live in the South, I think our AP flour is softer here than in other places in the US. I have never used cake flour because I get good results with AP flour so I really don't know how to answer that question.   If you use buttermilk you will need to add some soda to counter the acid in the buttermilk. For a cup of buttermilk I would add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Don't change the amount of baking powder.   Yes, I have made cupcakes with this recipe, the temp stays...
I used whole milk.
I wish you the best of luck....   1.    I live on the Gulf Coast…I’m afraid I have no experience baking at altitudes. 2.    The butter should be at room temperature…70° to 80°. 3.    Living in the Southern US, the all-purpose flour here is very soft. If the all-purpose flour you use is hard enough to make bread with no added gluten then it would be best to sift it.