or Connect

Posts by shakeandbake

Yup. Today we revisited a restaurant in Santa Monica for the 2nd time, Sauce on Hampton. THIS TIME we noticed the small print at the bottom stating that "15% Gratuity on pre-tax total is added to all checks". We didn't see this the first time and it pisses me off that the servers don't mention this, especially when the see that an additional "tip" was left. Bad business from the owners and the staff. We liked the food, but I don't believe in adding in a tip...ie....
That's what I was figuring. I have a busy work week and prepping some things, like eggs, an extra day earlier sure helps cut down the work stress.
When I do breakfast events, I usually pre-crack most of my eggs into a container the evening before. How long can pre-cracked eggs (removed from shell) be stored safely? Thanks.
I've been using the bio-forks/knives for a year or so to replace the plastic. Costco Business Centers carry them in bulk. I wish they would make the knives stronger, but at least it's better than all the plastic. I also only use recycled/unbleached napkins. For my jobs, we use a ton of water for drinking. I've made a significant reduction in the water bottle purchasing by providing bulk water dispensers and corn based biodegradable cups. I place a polite sign on the...
Agreed. I'm pretty sure it was too hot (> 120 degrees) on the first batch and the chocolate and oil separated. I've made this a without issue before, but it was a good learning experience to see the chocolate and oil separate...also kinda nasty. Tart was a hit and now we are all stuffed.
I searched through some of my cook books and in Jamie Oliver's he mentions that "the mixture may separate slightly, then let it cools some and whisk a little milk until smooth". Too bad I found this after I tossed the first batch, ran to the store, remelted sans Chambord and still got the separation. At least I know better than to toss this batch.
Happy Thanksgiving. I'm making a chocolate tart filling that made in the past without incident. Basically: 1lb bitter sweet pinch salt 1c cream 1/2 lb butter 2tbsp sugar Heat the cream, salt, sugar to boil, add chocolate & butter til melted. I decided to try adding 1tbsp of Chambord to the melt to try a add a slight raspberry flavor. As everything began to come together, it quickly started to separate with the chocolate becoming lumpy and a layer of clear oil/water...
North America has gone crazy with tipping and guilt. I've attended functions held at restaurants where food is available for individual purchase and had 18% tip added into my bill. I'll tip, but don't tell me what my tip obligation is. I pullout the pen, cross out the "tip" and recalculate. Recently we went to a well known Italian restaurant that is staffed by "actors" with visiting family. They sing in between service. Sometimes they spend more time on their "act"...
We went for a weekend hiking/camping trip to Mammoth (Sierra Mnt's) in June. The temp in the town of Bishop was in the 80's, 40mins up the road into Mammoth we had snow and evening temps in the high 40's. Crazy California climate! Our little camp stove has served us well, from California all the way to Chile. We get creative with our food, but still throw in some freezedry for those quick recharge meals. The best we've found is from MaryJane's Farm Organics. It's...
Consider contacting your local Lavazza rep and have them GIVE you a pod espresso machine. Purchasing espresso pods from the dealer should be approx $0.55 each and provide plenty of room for markup. For brew coffee, I agree that Intelligentsia serves great coffee, however it will cost you and depending on your clientele, this may be overkill. I serve quite a bit of coffee (film crews) and have come to rely on the Costco/Kirkland "House Blend", approx $10/2lbs. for my...