or Connect

Posts by wtdedula

Cookie Jim - That's interesting. I've never heard of sauted, carmelised onion rings before a few weeks ago when I think I read a thread about them in this forum. How do you make them and could I use Olive Oil to saute them in as I think that is the healthiest oil to cook with ? Tim
Siduri; Actually, I am interested in lowering my carbs if that's possible (wiothout sacrificing taste) since I am diabetic. I will agree with you that Soy Flour tastes bad because I also tried the low carb pizza posted on the food network site and didn't like it though I still think it could be made to taste better with the right combination of spices and perhaps other flours (Other than white). However, while I havn't tried yet, if you look at the recipe for low carb...
Siduri; I don't want this to sound like a nutrition forum nor do I want to start a huge debate ... So I'll just say that I am exploring healthier alternatives to breading with Refined, White Flour, and frying with high transfat/sat. fat oils without sacrificing good taste. And I was hoping to get some good suggestions here. Tim
Hello; Thanks for all of your helpful responses. I like greenawalt87's suggestion the best with his recommendation to try frying in Olive Oil which according to almost all health professionals is the healthiest oil available. I was hesitant to try it since I thought it would alter the taste too much this is why I posted the original message to see if anyone had any experience using a healthier oil to deep-fry onion rings. Regarding siduri's response, I agree it's OK...
Hello All; I have a question for all of you health enthusiasts out there :-) I picked up the book "Livin Low Carb" by George Stella, one of the chef's on the Food Network. In his book, he has a recipe for Low Carb Deep Fried Onion Rings. Onion Rings have always been my favorite but off limits since I started eating healthy ... up until now, that is. In this recipe, George uses Soy Flour instead of white flour and if you read the reviews, there isn't a single bad review...
Hello ... I ust thought you'd like to know how things turned out. The answer is Better than GREAT . I found great instructions on the internet that others may want to take note of ... http://homecooking.about.com/od/turk.../blturkey6.htm Was tender, not dry and full of flavor due to the spices (Thyme, Sage, Kosher Salt, and freshly ground black Pepper) and oil I put on it at the start of the cooking cycle. I didn't use a cooking bag, bubbamom but I suppose the tin...
Hello All; Today is my mother's birthday and by her request, I am cooking a turkey dinner this afrternoon. I cook Turkey dinners all of the time around Thanksgiving where I cook the whole bird but this time, I want to try to buy a big Turkey Breast instead which I've never done before. I want to have Roast Turkey, with dressing (I have a good recipe I use) as well as scalloped potatoes, and some green vegetable, and a garden salad. Does someone have some tips on how...
That's interesting, Austin; I have never had minestrone soup with italian sausage in it but it does sound like it would go good with it. Also, I don't recall if any of my recipes used chicken stock. It is possible but the actual recipes I've tried to make didn't use any - probably because I try to stay away from store-bought "too salty" chicken stock. So far, all of the recipes I've tried only use Tomatoes in some variety, vegetables, and some spices though so far all...
Hi All; Shel - Yeah ... I know there are a gizillion chicken noodle soup recipes but only one comes from CiCi's ! Seriously, though ... Thanks for the recipe. I will print it out and give it a try after I make Minestrone Soup out of your Tomato-Vegetable broth. I think I'm going to try it tomorrow. I found all of the incredients you specified in your recipe. Austin - I will probably try your soup first and then Shel's second just because it is different than I usually...
I prefer Subway and Chipotle because they are both fairly healthy places to eat. Also, the few times I prefer a burger, I don't think Wendy's is that bad ... since they are just a few houses down the street from me. I like to only get salads, or their chili, though. Two places I will never go to in my entire life are McDonalds and KFC. The mere thought of KFC gets me sick as the last time I went there (Well over a year and a half ago), there was grease dripping off my...