or Connect

Posts by nancya

I've made it with olive oil and with sesame oil. Used fresh chiles and dried. Never had any problems with it spoiling, but never made huge batches... With infused oils or vinegars I generally make a cup or two at the most.
Jarred sauce is never acceptable, doctored or not. Sorry. I make a very large pot of sauce when I make it. It doesn't take any longer to make a big pot than to make a serving. Then I freeze it in pre-measured single serving containers. Those little ziploc one cup containers are perfect. When I want sauce, I nuke a container. Even hubby should be able to handle that.
Jim, Shirley's book is my absolute favorite reference...okay, it's not as complete as the professional chef...but it's well written and understandable. I don't have it in front of me..but she gives like a dozen recipes for pie crust and explains why each one works the way it does. I love the food science...it's my main food interest at this time.
I loved it! Like I need more rationalization to eat chocolate... But beware the touted chocolate pie...it has tofu in it.....scary!
I love "I'm just here for the food" - I'm not 100% thrilled with the organization of it. Just let me go home so I can try some recipes!
I had this incredible salad at Pierpont's in Kansas City and I've been chasing the recipe ever since. I think you could use any greens you like. There were fresh pear strips, spiced and glazed walnuts, gorgonzola cheese....and a chocolate balsamic vinaigrette. It wasn't heavy on the chocolate...but the flavor was simply incredible. As I recall, they garnished with a swirl of melted dark chocolate around the salad. I've begged. I've searched. You will probably...
I use a slightly different method. I choose a pretty bottle and use about 1 vanilla bean per cup of vodka. Slit the bean lengthwise and stick it in the bottle, fill with vodka...let it rest until dark brown and fragrant. As I use the vanilla, I refill the vodka periodically. Add a bean every year or so. I don't let the level drop more than about 1/4 cup replacement in a quart bottle so it doesn't dilute the vanilla much. I may pull a bean to use in a custard,...
This comes from Southern Living if I recall correctly. It sounded a bit odd to me...but ohhhhh the onions are good. Caramelized Onions 2 extra large sweet onions (about 3 pounds) 1 (10 ½ ounce can chick or beef broth, undiluted) 1/4 cup butter or margarine Cut onions in half, cut each half into ½ inch thick slices. Combine with other ingredients in a 3 ½ quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high for 8 hours until golden brown and very soft. Yield...2...
I want one! Nicko...is the mug going to be available after Feb 10th - just not the coffee offer?
Always make my own...and I assume that is what you are doing. Didn't know that anyone put sweeteners in vanilla extract...very interesting! I'm curious about the answers.