or Connect

Posts by angrybob

Looks terrific! Duck is my favorite thing. I only buy whole birds, way too much good stuff not to IMHO, so I have ready made stock fixings everytime I cook duck. I make a pan sauce using duck stock and vermouth, which we like, but we usually drink champagne with duck. Most of the time I'll oven roast whole spears of asparagus really tasty and really easy. Most of the time I kick my wife out of the kitchen too--but that 's another story. Enjoy
How did I warp a Vollrath Tribute 12" pan? First, let me define warped. The bottom is about 1/8 to 5/32 of an inch out of plane. Less than half the bottom of the pan makes contact with the burner. Since I have a stupid BLANK BLANKETY BLANK ceramic cooktop, the pan heats unevenly. I have seen all aluminum frying pans in commercial kitchens that more resembled woks with wash-board bottoms that still worked quite well over a gas flame, so I suspect I would still be happy...
How did I warp a Vollrath Tribute 12" pan? First, let me define warped. The bottom is about 1/8 to 5/32 of an inch out of plane. Less than half the bottom of the pan makes contact with the burner. Since I have a stupid BLANK BLANKETY BLANK ceramic cooktop, the pan heats unevenly. I have seen all aluminum frying pans in commercial kitchens that more resembled woks with wash-board bottoms that still worked quite well over a gas flame, so I suspect I would still be happy...
Yes, they do. Perhaps not as readily as straight aluminum but, I have their wobbly carcasses as evidence.
Hi Flora, I have been using a flat top ceramic cooker for over 11 years now and what I've found to be the most important thing in a frying pan was that the pan sits flat on and makes good contact with the burner. Since I usually need the heat just from the bottom so clad constuction has limited benefit. I prefer the stainless pan that has a thicker disc sandwich, usually of aluminum or copper, on the bottom of the pan as these often will sit flatter, but you'll...
Have you considered freezing half of the loaf? I make 2-3 loaves of no knead per week and freeze the other two. After the bread has cooled I place each loaf in a plastic bag and freeze. I usually thaw the bread out on the counter prior to use. I have also rewarmed it in the oven and it comes out almost like freshly baked. Another thing I do if some bread has gone dry is take a damp paper towel cover the bread and microwave it for 15-20 seconds. About your...
Boar d laze, you stated that the Chef's Choice 130 is a real step up in quality from the 120, would you please elaborate? I have had the chance to use the 120 on an old stamped blade Swibo 10" chef's knife, and was very very impressed with the results. It was almost in the "scary sharp" realm. I also was able to try it with a forged 8" Chef's Choice Trizor chef's knife, with good but, much less impressive results. My impression is that people with commercial quality...
Boar d laze, you stated that the Chef's Choice 130 is a real step up in quality from the 120, would you please elaborate? I have had the chance to use the 120 on an old stamped blade Swibo 10" chef's knife, and was very very impressed with the results. It was almost in the "scary sharp" realm. I also was able to try it with a forged 8" Chef's Choice Trizor chef's knife, with good but, much less impressive results. My impression is that people with commercial quality...
James, You could try using a cabinet scraper to remove the old finish. Paint stores may carry a curved scraper that would suit your needs. The sort of scraper I'm refering to is often available in hardware stores for about 8.00 and is about the size of an index card. If you have a piece of an old handsaw blade you can easily make one from that too. You would still be required to do finish sanding after you scraped the surface. Scrapers are commercially available in...
Boar d laze, I want to really thank you for your last reply. While I initially disagreed that I was holding the knife too tightly, I was inspired to try a little experiment. Today being a grocery run and having a few days worth of veggies to work on in a single session, it was the perfect opportunity. I used a piece of metal about 1 1/4" x 1" that weighs about an ounce and taped it to the butt of the handle. This moved the balance point to be nearly perfect right...