or Connect

Posts by Quelper

Julia Child
I was picnic salesman in Orange County California back in the late 20th century. The way it worked for me was this.   I got paid 7% of the net sale, (before tax, excluding labor and gratuity). All I had to do for my 7% was get the deposit check of 50%. Passing on what I sold to the production dept was just handing them the contract, so no real coordination was needed for my commission. I may have been drawing a minimum salary as well.   Before you rack your...
Colorado Catering Company Mountain Catering Green Mountain Catering Grand View Catering Rocky Mountain Gourmet Rocky Mountain Catering Company Mama's Mountain Catering (Blue, black, green, or whatever) ridge catering Colorado Gourmet Cateing Mountain Grill Catering Colorado Barbecue Company Colorado Picnic company Mountain Picnics   These are just off the top of my head, so some may be taken. You will need to do your own FNBS search to make...
One big bubble? LOL   I think you have a great naan recipe, and should try to cook them in a skillet, or on an open flame.   Just kidding,   Are you trying to use this dough the same day you make it? If so, your result will be "breadier" than if you let it sit for several hours, or overnight in the fridge. Increasing the oil content will help make it crispier without making it too dry as well.   The local weather (in the kitchen), air quality, PH of your...
@chefjanet Thanks for the link. I have had my eye on shop n cook as it is a "filemaker" based system. Unfortunately despite the fact that filemaker is cross platform, shop n cook is platform specific to MAC. Besides an "On demand" or web browser based system is what most of us need.   For those using drupal for their web site, there is a "recipe" module that does conversion, storage, and imports from many popular programs. This is great for having online access to...
Hi back at ya!   As a caterer and someone who uses on call staff only, I look for people with experience.   Sadly, the San Francisco Bay Area no longer has the rich talent pool it used to. Because of this, you may be able to get a position based on your prior experience, but a pastry cert wouldn't hurt.   The type of place you look for will make a difference too. Some cooks just want to make a name for themselves at any cost. Consequently, some restaurant...
CRM For a CRM check out Vtiger. It is a PHP MYSQL based open source, and a fully operational enterprise level package. You only pay for support (if you need it), or if you hire someone to customize it. This is currently where I am leaning.   It also has reasonable invoicing/inventory system, although the Quickbooks interface is currently Vaporware.   LIVE CHAT Crafty Syntax is also open source, and allows you to offer live chat support services from your web...
Boiled frog!   I was told if you put a frog in a pot of cold water, and put in on the stove, he will slowly cook to death, but if you toss a frog in a pot of hot water he jumps out right away.   You know you have a bad situation, JUMP OUT! If you stay you may get used to it and cook to death.   Alternately: Screw all of our advice and master the situation.   PS. I have to agree about the title thing. As I see it, an "Ex Chef" at a 16 seat restaurant is...
From what I have seen the culinary academy here in San Francisco promotes the taking of students money, and they will likely take any action necessary to protect their income stream. If that action is providing a quality education, so be it, but it is clearly NOT their first priority.   So yes, more, and/or better professional cooking schools would be great!
Problem is, "Professional Party Planners" aren't always capable or experienced. By definition, if you get paid for doing something you are a professional. To make matters worse, many people get into party planning because they think "it would be fun!"   Rookie event planners tend to focus on the clients desires (rightly so), but sometimes forget what is actually possible for a given venue, budget or time frame. They also only know one way of doing something, so if...