or Connect

Posts by American_Suisse

@Cerise- Aaarrgh! I hate the word preheat. Lol! I heat my oven before doing anything. Usually 15 minutes. I have checked the temp using three different thermometers and they all came out within two and three degrees. Not bad I think. I have never tried that baking method shown in the video. Something to look forward to. Thanks!   @Fablesable - Thanks for the info. Never noticed the numbers on the flour here. I will check for that next time I hit the store and give the...
Well...the good news is (for whatever reason) the dinner rolls I made earlier this week came out spot on as did the Hot Cross Buns made for Easter. Also been playing with a variation on Irish Soda Bread. Made it twice and it turned out fine. Not sure what the heck is going on with the recipes I used in the states so I guess they get put to the back of the file to maybe get tried at some other point in time. Thanks all for the many suggestions!
Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling.   This is a recipe I use a lot. I use it for pizza dough, cinnamon and raisin bread, an Italian loaf with mozzarella cheese in it, dinner rolls, etc. It calls for 2 pkgs of dry yeast in half a cup of lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar for five minutes. While it is activating you mix half a cup of sugar, half a cup of lukewarm milk which is then mixed with the yeast and water. Then add four eggs and half a cup of shortening....
Last night was jumbo shells stuffed with pancetta and spinach and an asiago cheese, cream sauce. (With enough left over for lunch today!)
Have proofed the yeast so that wasn't the issue but...the flour. Did not know that about European flour. I've used mainly all-purpose flours in most of my recipes with no problems. But gluten I've never thought of. How much would I use and is it in addition to the flour measurement or included in the amount?
Humidity here isn't much different than my home in NH. Made the same recipes in FL when living there but of course the AC was blasting! I know the water here is great right out of the faucet as well as the many fountains dotting the city but not sure how it's treated.   Thought of the yeast as well but, even though it's a diffrent brand than I'm use to, it's always well within expiration dates. Usually I end up using about half the package before buying new and tossing...
It concerns me that it took you three minutes to read the thread...All that aside, turning bacon with sissors? Well...at least they get greased so there shouldn't be any squeaking!
I'm having a problem and hope there's an answer out there somewhere. Living now in Switzerland, I've found my bread recipes aren't turning out like they did in the US. Anything I try making either is rock hard on the outside and raw in the middle or just plain won't rise. This happens when I use my bread machine or from scratch and in the oven. At first I thought maybe the altitude was problem but it's not as far as I can tell. I'm around 1,621 feet (494 m) above sea...
I've found the best method is to go downtown Lausanne and buy them in the Ladurée shop.
@ nancyd375 post  # 105 To me it all depends on the type of diabetic your friend it. I'm type 2 but at a controlled level with pills, thankfully no insulin needed yet! I hate needles. If your friend isn't going to consume the entire cake in one sitting and has the diabetes under control there is no reason to substitute anything. But, if the cake is for one person or they haven't got control...try some of these ideas. BUT before doing anything, check with your friend and...