or Connect

Posts by American_Suisse

@ nancyd375 post  # 105 To me it all depends on the type of diabetic your friend it. I'm type 2 but at a controlled level with pills, thankfully no insulin needed yet! I hate needles. If your friend isn't going to consume the entire cake in one sitting and has the diabetes under control there is no reason to substitute anything. But, if the cake is for one person or they haven't got control...try some of these ideas. BUT before doing anything, check with your friend and...
Never seen that done by people here but there is no reason not to as far as I know.
Last one for the day. This is really good!   3 dl (1 1/4 Cup?) milk Pinch of salt 2 TBSP butter 250 g (2 Cups?) flour 2 TBSP white wine 3 eggs - separate the whites and yolks Fat for deep frying 4 TBSP sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon mixed   Bring the milk and  salt to a boil. Add the butter and let it melt. Sift the flour onto a paper towel or plate or into a bowl. Stir into the milk all at one time. Beat in the egg yolks one by one. Whip the egg whites...
Didn't include this with the Rösti recipe for a simple reason. To me it's more of a dessert than part of a main meal. The Swiss won't agree but there it is.   350 g (12 oz I think) day old bread. (French or Italian) 4 TBSP butter 500 g (18 oz?) apples 3 TBSP sugar 1 tsp cinnamon   Cut the bread into thin slices. Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the bread and brown lightly on all sides. Peel and core the apples. Cut into thin slices and add to the bread....
Whenever friends of mine from the US come to visit at some point I make Rösti. Taken by itself this is a very simple dish but it does take a bit of practice (at least for me) to get it right. I use to buy it packaged until I was shown by a neighbor how to make it. Never again will you find store bought rösti in my home!   Boil 1 kg (2ish lbs I think) of unpeeled potatoes until semi-tender the day before you make this.   The day of, peel and grate the potatoes,...
So, long time no post. I've been, to be honest, indulging in other things like travel to keep up with things here. Now that a certain someone has been removed from our world it seems like a good time to stay at home...at least for the time being. So, that said, here is the first of what I hope to be many recettes that I've picked up along the way these past few months.   First, a little background for those that may not know what raisiné is. Basically it's apple...
It isn't as clear cut here as you seem to make it. On 13 February we had a national vote concerning keeping guns at home. 57% of the populace voted to keep them. This issue was strongly debated in the months prior to the vote and for a while looked like the anti-gun at home group would win. They had a 13% lead in the early polls to begin with but it soon dwindled. The Swiss have a strong identity with rifles and guns. Many viewed the vote as an attempt to remove...
Was going through the files on swissinfo and came across this video about fondue. A little history mixed with an ending shot of "downtown" Gruyère. If you ever have a chance to visit this wonderful country I would strongly suggest a stop at Gruyère. Given enough notice I just might join ya! Yep, love fondue that much.   http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/multimedia/video/For_fondue_fans.html?cid=8308806&itemId=8308802 
"3pm France, Holland, Denmark, Libya, Norway, Sweden, Spain, Italy"    AHEM! And Switzerland, thank you very much!   Bonne Année all!
    BettyR   Just wanted to thank you for posting this Yellow Cake Recipe. I found it shortly after you posted it but never thanked you for it. It's the best Yellow Cake I've ever made. All the others are so dry. After making this one for the first time I tossed the others.   The first time I made it was for some of my Swiss neighbors. Gotta tell ya they loved it! Now, whenever we're getting together, I'm asked if there will be "gâteau jaune" . ....