or Connect

Posts by American_Suisse

I made some doughnuts the other day. When I made the glaze for them something went wrong. Granted I was trying to do it from memory but still! I ended up with something more like frosting. The glaze never hardened like it would when my mom made it. I used 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 TBSP softened butter, 1/2 tsp of vanilla, and just enough milk to wet the mixture. It looked right but after coating about half of the doughnuts, I finally gave up and threw some cocoa in with...
Reminds me of what my neighbors in FL use to say when I was learning to bake bread. "Don't worry, we eat mistakes!" and did they ever!
I don't think Perlman is all that great, prefering the likes of Oistrakh, Menuhin, or even Nesbitt but that's another opinion. The rest of the quote above does make sense based on the way you have posted on this subject, or at least the way it comes across to me. Maybe it's the words and your phrasing that is causing me to misunderstand you. To me, you go from sounding like you're all for pushing people to overcome limitations then backpeddle on it. I'm all for people...
No, it isn't fair. Some people have a natural gift with music and others don't. Saying that someone needs a nudge would be like me saying sure, you can sing in the same range as Caruso, Domingo, Carreras, or Pavarotti if you just practice enough...and you're a bass. It isn't going to happen no matter how hard you try. My brother took piano lessons from the same teacher as me. My sisters also took lessons from the same man. My brother was never able to play very well at all...
Like most kids from my generation, I suffered thru piano lessons. From there organ followed. Then came trumpet and coronet, mellowphone, sousaphone, and tuba. I've never been able to play any stringed instruments very well. Mary Had A Little Lamb is about the only song I can play on violin but it sounds like I'm playing the lamb instead of a violin. My big desire now is learning to play French horn.
Buddy Hackett once said "My mother's menu consisted of two choices: Take it or leave it." (Bet he got that from my mom!) And - "If God had intended us to follow recipes, He wouldn't have given us grandmothers." Linda Henley
Don't know if this will help but this is a recipe I got from my friend Jean-Pierre who owns a B&B in the Juras. I had Clafouti for the first time while visiting them once and really liked it. Jean-Pierre told me that the traditional way of cooking this was to leave the cherry pits in. Supposedly the pits release a stronger flavor. Fortunately, he had pitted the cherries so no teeth were lost. :) 1 1/4 cups milk 2/3 cup sugar, divided3 eggs 1 tablespoon vanilla...
Just read this on MSN - don't think I'll be visiting any of these places. The World?s Rudest Restaurants - MSN Travel Articles
[QUOTE=boar_d_laze;278833]Most important of all (for me), each of the two people who taught me to make biscuits used that pinch of baking powder, so I do too./QUOTE] Reminds me of an old story - A little girl was watching her mother prepare the Christmas ham. As she watched, her mother cut off the end part of the ham. "Why did you do that mom?", asked the little one. "I don't know, Guess it's because that's the way my mom did it." came the reply. "You'll have to ask...
Sorry, it is corn starch. I'm starting to mix my languages!