or Connect

Posts by ChefTalk.com

I totally forgot about the amazing honey. Yes get some of that.
 Ree Drumond, or “Pioneer Woman,” as she is known by many, started blogging in 2006, creating the award winning website www.thepioneerwoman.com.  It is there she shares about her life on a working cattle ranch, which includes many of the recipes she makes for her friends and family.     The author is not professionally trained, but that does not deter the large following she has. Readers seem to appreciate her step-by-step instructions, sense of humor, and laid back...
 If you’re a regular reader of the Cookbook Reviews forum you know how often there are requests for books suitable to novice cooks. This is understandable. For almost three generations, now, convenience has taken the place of ability, and microwaving has been a synonym for cooking.For various reasons, men and women in the thousands have decided they need to learn real kitchen skills. Some do it out of health concerns, wanting to feed their families the freshest, highest...
      With the recent surge of interest in Julia Child’s French cooking manifesto, it makes sense that other French cookbooks would also experience a rush of interest. And with scores of new or inexperienced cooks wanting to participate in the French cooking renaissance, a book advertising French cooking in one pot certainly catches the eye. French cooking has a reputation for involving difficult showpieces, so any cookbook that can make it simple and easy, while still...
 I haven’t cooked many Italian dishes. People always look at me funny when I say that. “Don’t you make spaghetti?” they ask. Spaghetti, the way most Americans make it these days, isn’t really true Italian cooking in my humble opinion.   True Italian dishes include lots of fresh produce, the finest seafood, poultry, pork and beef, and rarely, if ever, thin dried pasta out of a box. In fact, if you can believe this, many Italian dishes don’t include pasta at all. Shocking I...
 Seems that everyone gives the way they eat a title these days. Personally, I am a localvore-flexitarian. While I enjoy a nice grass-fed beef burger on occasion, I start most days with a tofu fruit smoothie. I volunteered to review The Conscious Cook expecting a sort of localvore's take on healthy eating. To my surprise, it is a vegan cookbook. Okay, I've been curious about this "movement." The notion of giving up eggs and cheese is a little hard to swallow, but I went in...
When Chef Mike Gadson is catering a small private function or cooking at home for friends and family, one of his favorite tools for adding a smoked flavor to many dishes is a smoking gun. Recently Gadson, who is the executive chef at Springmaid Beach Resort & Conference Center in Myrtle Beach, S.C., used his PolyScience Smoking Gun to smoke an airline cut of chicken breast. However, meats are not the only smokable items in the pantry. Vegetables and even some fruits are...
Last time I talked a bit about getting to know your camera. Here's the link  www.cheftalk.com/wiki/how-to-create-better-food-photographs if you haven't read it yet. The next step is to understand the basics and explore a few techniques.Read the full article here...*These articles are brought to you each month from ChefTalk.com.
Kaiseki is a visually arresting tour of Kyoto’s ultra-refined cuisine, by a well-known exponent of the art. Chef Murata has made a mission of bringing kaiseki to audiences outside Kyoto: a Tokyo branch restaurant, regular appearances on NHK television, numerous books (none translated, unfortunately), and now this beautiful cookbook.Read the full cookbook review here...*These cookbooks reviews are brought to you by ChefTalk.com.
 I must admit that whenever I eat a particularly good meal, I have a burning desire for an equally stunning dessert. Dessert is like the closing on a long letter, the perfect ending that makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Dessert can take many forms – from cakes and pies to fresh fruit and cheese – as long as it is satisfying and a little sweet, the end of a savory meal. And it doesn’t hurt if it is also beautiful to look upon, as this heightens the anticipation as the perfect...