or Connect

Posts by jclopp

yeah, well I just got it... damn, at first glance looks pretty good.
I was in Scouts for 40 years. Miners lettece - hands down. I also carry in the car with me only one cookbook -- The Wild, Wild Cookbook - a guide for young wild-food foragers by Jean Craighead George   best book I've ever found on the subject   Chef Jerry
  I have lost my entire computer and backup, after a house fire. I put together a excel file years ago, but alas it is no more and I just don't have the energy to recreate it. Is there any good software out there? I want to keep pricing, inventory (par list) and if possible plug in recipes... I know it's a lot to ask, but somebody I am sure have done this. A good friend told me about Master Cook - anyone use it before?   Chef Jerry
I've been on the internet looking for a really good knife attache case and found only 3. I teach and cater, so I need too much stuff with me - I'm wondering which ones are best. If they have only divider/page/sleeve, is there still room to put a couple of small bags of veggie carving knives or pastry tools? I really don't need wheels and a handle - it just seems that those would add weight to the case. I would hate to spend over a hundred thirty to fifty and be unhappy...
I've been on the internet looking for a really good knife attache case and found only 3. I teach and cater, so I need too much stuff with me - I'm wondering which ones are best. If they have only divider/page/sleeve, is there still room to put a couple of small bags of veggie carving knives or pastry tools? I really don't need wheels and a handle - it just seems that those would add weight to the case. I would hate to spend over a hundred thirty to fifty and be unhappy...
I teach a high school culinary program and have students at the CCA in S.F. right now. Several love it, but two feel they don't get enough hands-on, just chef instruction. One big alternative and for some a start before going onto CCA or CIA (in Napa) is to attend a really good program at Contra Costa College (a Community College in the East Bay) - the classes are only $61. per class! The instructors are very good. So check out local community colleges - a great way to...
Thanks - guys, Yes, I have held down all the stations, except executive and pastry. Telling students to question authority, what they read and hear, may be the reason I questioned my own sanity. High school students - gotta love 'em - can't drown 'em. :D Concerning the CEC - hmmm... I guess their web site would show places and dates for the exams... I like the idea of video taping my class - they can be so very special...
From the mouth of babes. I teach a culinary arts club at our local high school. Basically using the Culinary Fundamentals put out by the ACF and we have a ball. Last week the question came up as "How does someone like yourself prove you are a chef?" That really got me thinking about the ACF, hey I'm 54, should I go take the exam to prove I'm a chef? What do you guys think? Here's a brief background: I attended classes at a community college and even several summer...
Besides teaching culinary arts, I also teach a Gen. Ed. 11th grade U.S. History, Sp Ed Am. Govt/Econ, geometry and an English 4 class, an since I have nothing else to do, I'm Dept Chair. High School kids - GOTTA LOVE 'EM - Can't drown 'em. I really do love 'em, it's just the emotionally disturbed kids with sharp knives that really make me nervous. :) Jer
I too am a Special Ed. teacher at our local high school. I was a chef many moons ago. I even took classes at the CIA before it moved to Hyde Park. Left the hotels behind and went to College to Sp Ed and finished when they didn't need teachers anymore (even with 3 credentials). So ended up doing international trade with food exporters/importers and manufacturers. Finally got back in the classroom 8 years ago. I did some personal chef work and folks gave me money to start...